Shortcut into finder or 'documents' etc...?

Reaction score
Just got snow leopard and getting used to it. Is there a shortcut if I want to get into the finder? Say I want to get into documents..which i do alot. I now have to get my way onto the desktop, click HD, then find what I'm looking for. Is it simply putting a HD shortcut on the bottom bar...or are there other nifty ways?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can put a shortcut to any items that you use frequently into the Dock bar at the bottom of the screen. To do this simply drag the item into the bar and your Mac will create an alias to it. Aliases behave similar to Windows shortcuts.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I now have to get my way onto the desktop, click HD, then find what I'm looking for.
No need. The Finder icon in your dock (furthest left, the blue face) is the Finder alias in the Dock. Simply click that and you're good to go. If you want direct access to your Documents folder from the dock, you can simply do what Slydude suggested - drag the folder from Finder to the right side of your dock (to the right of the dividing line).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... click HD, then find what I'm looking for. Is it simply putting a HD shortcut on the bottom bar...or are there other nifty ways?

There is probably a Documents shortcut in the sidebar of your Finder windows, under the Places heading. If not, you can drag the Documents folder there as well, and one will be created.

Also in Finder, under the Go Menu, you'll see Recent Folders. If you want to get back to a folder you were just in that's not in the sidebar, check there.

P.S. I hope none of that is different in SL, since I'm still in Leopard.

Reaction score
If you go to Documents a lot you can set Finder to open to Documents or anywhere else by default in the Finder Preferences.

finder.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
^...meaning that, once in the Finder, Command-N will open Documents by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz C2D & 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
Screencasts | mac irc chat -- In the second video not that page, I discuss the Dock in some detail (basics, really) and I show you how-to add stacks and files to the Dock for using as shortcuts. I'm not sure if this will help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. I knew there had to be some tricks out there and you showed me a few...esp Pomeroy...very cool

Reaction score
Take a good look and trial of dragthing.... The Official DragThing Home Page

You can setup all sorts of 'docks' to either launch apps or display folders - you can either navigate thru the folders in the dock or click on the folder to open it up in Finder (or pathfinder for me...) - docks can autohide wherever you like, activate/appear by 'hot spots' or keyboard shortcuts and so on...

It's very good indeed
couple of other useful links/reviews other options
Hate the Mac’s Dock? Fix it this way. | How To | PixoBebo by Kate MacKenzie
Top 10 Reasons the Apple Dock Sucks

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.