how do I make this work

Reaction score
I am wanting to interface my Alesis Micron into Garage band. I've got one of the new 21.5" iMacs running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 I've also got an old Midiman Sport 1X1 Midi interface and the cables I need for that. I tried plugging it in but the Midiman does nothing. No lights at all. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Okay, let's see here:

You want to use your Alesis as a MIDI controller for Garage Band or you want to record synths from the Alesis into Garage Band?

If you just want to use it as a controller make sure you do this:

- Update to latest drivers for the Midiman interface for OS X
- Make sure you plug the MIDI cables in correctly (I make this mistake all the time):
- From the Alesis: MIDI OUT
- into the Midiman: MIDI IN
- Plug in the Midiman and only THEN start Garage Band. (Allow some time for OS X to see it before starting Garage Band).
- Check your Garage Band preferences panel to see if it recognizes the Midiman.

Let me know if this helps at all.
Cheers!

OP
style0
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I just want it as a controller. I found the download site for Maudio and I think I am actually running 10.6.2 but I don't know if I should download for 32 or 64 bit. Where do I find out which one I should be using.

Reaction score
Not 100% sure if Garage Band is 64bit. Go for the 32bit as there's not much difference when it comes to what you're doing (sending digital signals through MIDI).

OP
style0
Reaction score
That worked great. Thanks so much for your help. Now, who can teach me how to play :~)

Reaction score
Great. Happy I could help.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

OP
style0
Reaction score
Oh I am more than sure I will have many more questions. I just came to a very nice realization. From the moment I posted my question until I had the solution and everything was working it took less than half an hour! Thanks to it being on a Mac, a very helpful user (Cdnalsi) and this great Forum. If this would have been on my old PC I figure it wouldn't work properly without many tweeks, loading and unloading of programs and a couple days of hair pulling. Man do I love my Mac :~)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.