OS reading different partitions - Question

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was trying to search to see if i can resolve this question, but so far i have not found anything, maybe someone here can help me.

For this question, assume that the internal hard drive will be running Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

If i was to partition an internal hard drive to run Mac OSX Snow Leopard, Windows 7, and have a 3rd partition formatted in FAT 32, would the operating systems be able to read the FAT32 partition as a separate writable hard drive?

For example, if i was booted into Snow Leopard, would i be able to see the FAT32 partition as a writable hard drive on the desktop?

If yes, would this mean that i would be able to deposit data in the FAT32 partition, that can be accessed by either operating system when booted into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay, i thought i would give some feedback from my own experience since no one seemed to know...

The Mac OS will read all of the internal partitions, even that of the Windows 7 NTFS formatted one. the partitions appear as separate hard drives on the desktop.

however, i was not able to as yet see the partitions when booted into windows 7. i know that it would not be able to see the Mac partition as it cannot read HFS+, but i was expecting it to see the FAT32 partition.... which was not the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Cool. I really wasn't sure, which is why I didn't answer.
Thanks for trying it out and posting back.

OP
A
Reaction score
yeah, hahaha, no prob, just have to figure out how to get the windows OS to see the FAT32 partition now :p

OP
A
Reaction score
YES

Ok, i have found out how to do this to get the FAT32 partition seen in Windows if it does not show up.

I'll post it as a link below, but credit has to go the the members of Seven Forums, especially that of "whs". His tutorial video linked in the thread, helped so much.

I hope anyone with this kind of issue will have it resolved now :D

Help ~ Reading Internal Partitions - Windows 7 Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.