OS X inconsistent in certain aspects of productivity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Why is it that I'm only able to send some files from certain places within OS X to Mail, while other files don't have such an option ? I just exported a photo from Lightroom and upon completion of the export, my Finder window opened so I could see it. I planned on sending the .jpg to "Mail", but there was no such option.

I'm fairly certain that I've done this task before with a jpg, but now am not able to. Why is OS X so inconsistent like that ? Furthermore, I just realized how stupidly crippled the iPhone is, when you can't send a file from your MBP to it via Bluetooth. That's a common feature which has been in use since the first days of BT on dumb phones ! But that's another issue all together.

Why can't I send a photo to Mail from Finder with a right click ? And yes, I realize that I can just drag the photo to the Dock into Mail, but I forgot that before, and is not the point. I think both options offer more flexibility, especially if you don't want to keep a Mail icon on your dock.

Doug

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why is it that I'm only able to send some files from certain places within OS X to Mail, while other files don't have such an option ? I just exported a photo from Lightroom and upon completion of the export, my Finder window opened so I could see it. I planned on sending the .jpg to "Mail", but there was no such option.

They changed up the Services menu a bit in 10.6. Is that what you're running? If so, it's now contextual and embedded in the application menu. So, for example, you'll want to highlight the file (or files), click the application menu (for example, the Finder menu), go to Services => New Email with Attachment.

I'm fairly certain that I've done this task before with a jpg, but now am not able to. Why is OS X so inconsistent like that ?

They changed it up from 10.5 => 10.6. Just like Microsoft keeps picking new names for 'Network Neighborhood' in each successive Windows version, when it does the same thing.

Furthermore, I just realized how stupidly crippled the iPhone is, when you can't send a file from your MBP to it via Bluetooth. That's a common feature which has been in use since the first days of BT on dumb phones ! But that's another issue all together.

You must not have Verizon. Almost all of their phones are crippled in this way. It takes forever to figure out how to bypass - but that's an issue for HowardForums.

Why can't I send a photo to Mail from Finder with a right click ?

Why is there not a Shelby GT350 in my garage right now? I've pined after one for years, and can afford one. Answer: Because I have a wife who would shoot me if I bought one.

So, the answer to your question is Apple has someone named Steve Jobs. Steve, as visionary as he can be, is a stubborn sort of old coot who likes things in a certain way. He's so OCD that he won't even let the Apple engineers put a gosh-darned HDD activity light on a computer. So, as much as you might like to have it in a context menu, Steve says "no".

And yes, I realize that I can just drag the photo to the Dock into Mail, but I forgot that before, and is not the point. I think both options offer more flexibility, especially if you don't want to keep a Mail icon on your dock.

Cool tip, I did not know that.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ah but CWA.. the gunshot wound will heal eventually. And think of how bad @s$ you'd look with a gunshot wound driving that new Shelby ! I say get it.. she'll only be mad for a little while. And couches really are comfortable !

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ah but CWA.. the gunshot wound will heal eventually. And think of how bad @s$ you'd look with a gunshot wound driving that new Shelby ! I say get it.. she'll only be mad for a little while. And couches really are comfortable !

Doug

LOL... did you like my little metaphor, starring Steve as the nagging wife :D ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So, the answer to your question is Apple has someone named Steve Jobs. Steve, as visionary as he can be, is a stubborn sort of old coot who likes things in a certain way. He's so OCD that he won't even let the Apple engineers put a gosh-darned HDD activity light on a computer. So, as much as you might like to have it in a context menu, Steve says "no".

When he was a YOUNG coot he was even worse it's said! :D

I have always missed the hard drive light from the first Mac in 1984 on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.