Macally Leather cover for macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just had a very general question. I just purchased a Macally leather snap on hard shell cover for my MBP and I have noticed that under heavy use the laptop gets EXTREMELY hot....I'm just wondering if the leather being wrapped around the laptop could be causing this issue. I guess because leather holds in heat...the only vent for air is in the back of the laptop so i'm just wondering what you guys think...should I remove the leather cover? i really like it because it protects the laptop but...if it's causing over heating or holding in heat...i don't want that so i'm in search of some opinions...feedback please!!

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Absolutely. Imagine yourself wearing a leather jacket during summer.... This is what your laptop is doing while it is powered up and wrapped in leather.
I'd scrap it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Macally leather case is advertised as specially built for Mac and has ventilation ports to allow normal cooling. I use an InCase protective cover for my MacBook and it's very similar to the Macally except it's more of a hard cover. I have never had my machine overheat because of it.

What are you doing when your Mac is getting hot? And where are you using it? It's important that you don't use it on your lap or a carpeted area. If you're playing games and the machine is getting hot, that's normal.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The Macally leather case appears to have no ventilation at the bottom of the machine or raised feet like the Incase.
Am I mistaken?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might be right. I went to their home website to look but the views do not show where the ventilation openings are. And you're correct about the InCase. Mine has ventilation holes on the bottom plus small raised feet.

When at home I keep the MacBook on a Griffin Elevator still enclosed in its InCase. That also helps to keep it cool - and me from spilling coffee on it! :D

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Macally leather case is advertised as specially built for Mac and has ventilation ports to allow normal cooling. I use an InCase protective cover for my MacBook and it's very similar to the Macally except it's more of a hard cover. I have never had my machine overheat because of it.

What are you doing when your Mac is getting hot? And where are you using it? It's important that you don't use it on your lap or a carpeted area. If you're playing games and the machine is getting hot, that's normal.

Regards.

the laptop gets hot when i'm using skye/oovoo and the webcam is in use...it's weird to me because i can be doing other things and it never get hots...but when i just have skype opened and i'm sitting there video chatting with someone...the laptop gets extremely hot...i wouldn't think the webcam being on would cause it to heat up that much but i may be wrong...

and yes...the leather cover does NOT have small raised feet on the bottom..it's just a flat surface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Skype video chat does that! Spikes up the temp like crazy, and as for flat unventilated bottom of the case, this really doesn't help.
There is a lot of heat around the power input spanning around a quarter of the area of the bottom of the laptop that is being trapped in there. It should really be ventilated and raised off the surface that it sits on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.