alias?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
What exactly is it? Is it just a copy of the program/file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It's the same thing as a shortcut on a PC. It's just a special icon file that points back to the name and location of the actual application file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
As mentioned it's a shortcut. Apple just wanted to be different so it's called an alias instead. ;)

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
cool thanks guys, appreciate it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
As said, it's basically a shortcut, but way better than a shortcut.

On Windows if you make a shortcut to a file and then move the original file, the shortcut doesn't work.

In Mac OS, if you move the original, the alias still works - so it's almost like a dynamic shortcut if you like.

One way to benefit from an alias (for example) is to keep your big movie files on an external hard drive, then make an alias and drop the alias into your movies folder (under your name in Finder) - you can now go into Front Row, and it will see those movies but you're not loosing space on your primary disk (and of course you only need one drive to hold your movies on, which you could then use on your Xbox, a couple of Macs and a PC (1 device at a time, unless you go down the NAS route, but that's a whole different question :) ))

Cheers,

Dave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Good work on an insightful explanation for the OP. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.