Question mark?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
When I boot up my MacBook pro, it really quickly shows a folder with a question mark. It just started today. Anyone know what it means?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have a read through this

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works fine. There are no problems at all. It just quickly shows it, then continues to boot up. Just curious on as to what it meant. I dont think that it is anything serious like the beginning of that article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Well, just keep a constant backup, best off with CCC or SuperDuper, so that way, if your hard drive fails that you have a bootable external copy of your system.
I would, just to check, boot off your install disc, and verify disk in disk utilities, and if errors come up, repair disk.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this. Open System Preferences and click on Startup Disk. Click on the OSX hard drive and click on Reboot. Let us know if that ? goes away after that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. It was because I had a boot camp partition set up before I had windows on it. I think it was trying to boot that partition with nothing on it, after putting on windows, it went away, also I set my OS X partition back to the default for startup and it is gone. Also, today I put in a new HDD. 500GB 7200rpm hitachi travel star I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.