USB ports not working

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the 15" macbook pro unibody mid 2009 and today all of a sudden my USB ports would not work in OSX or windows. My mouse works ok, but like my Iphone and external HD would not be recognized. Help!

C

chas_m

What did the Apple Store (or Certified Apple Repair) techs say when you brought it in, since its still under warranty?

PS. Now's the time to buy AppleCare if you haven't already.

OP
B
Reaction score
i called the tech and they walked me through some steps to reset some stuff and it still didnt work, im gonna bring it in tomorrow.

what is the warranty like on these hardware stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The warranty covers everything except for accidental damage or spillage.
Take it in, and if work is done, then the specific repair is covered for 12mths.
AppleCare will extend the full warranty to 3yrs from the purchase date, but you have to purchase it before your 1yr warranty expires.

OP
B
Reaction score
i need to have the logic board replaced they said, but its not under warranty because i already opened it up and messed around with it.

anyways, is there a product that has usb hubs connected via firewire? i think there are some but in order to use the usb part it has to actually be connected to the usb port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
How did you mess around with it?

OP
B
Reaction score
i just opened it to change the backlit keyboard color, everything was working for a couple months now.

the top usb port works with my wireless mouse receiver and other low power usb stuff but the bottom one does not work at all, if i plug the external HDD in it, i get the device not recognized message.

would it work if i got an external powered usb hub?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, I can't give you a definitive answer on this...... only based on you messin' with the keyboard colour (OZ spelling) as you've described, and what it took to do this. Since Apple has stated that you need to have the logic board replaced, this only leads me to believe that what will and won't work is only speculation.
I'm not going to ask the "what were you thinking" question, but I really want to! :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no FW to USB adapters. The 2 are incompatible with one another.

You might try the powered USB hub through the port that is still working.
As to whether it will work ??? Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
Do you have apple care? And i had a question on how would they find out if your were "messing" around inside the laptop? What devices would they use to find if you have touched anything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.