Having trouble connecting my new LB Blueray player to internet via Airport Express

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am trying to connect my new LG blueray player to my wireless network with an Airport express and am having some trouble. Here's the layout...

I have a FiOS router connected to my time capsule which is then connected wirelessly to the airport express. I had this particular airport express connected to my printer for wireless printing (no issues for 2 years), but decided to use the airport express for the blueray player interface with Netflix instead. The blueray player only has an ethernet port, so i'm using an ethernet cable to connect it to the Airport express. When i turn on the blueray player and attempt to connect to the internet, i get an error message saying "no ethernet cable detected." I'm not sure where to go from here...any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
im having the exact same problem, I have the express setup for air tunes which works fine over the existing wireless network. But we bought a new panasonic tv and blu ray player and I had the same thinking as you to connect it through the ethernet on the airport express but cant get the settings right.

Had any luck yet?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks to jeltekalkman - go into Airport Utility and look for a check box called "Allow ethernet clients".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac Leopard 10.5.8
Thanks to jeltekalkman - go into Airport Utility and look for a check box called "Allow ethernet clients".

I also found out if you have an older version of the express it is only compatable with a mac router but the newer version will allow you to switch on the eternet port.

(Quoting)
On your version of the AirPort Express, you must have another Apple router creating the main wireless network for the ethernet port to be enabled. Unfortunately, the ethernet port on your version cannot be enabled when used with routers from other manufacturers.

The newer version of the AirPort Express does allow this type of connection to virtually any other wireless network.

My opinion here...the cost of new AirPort Express "n" version and the cost of a pair of ethernet powerline adapters would be about the same. The adapters would provide a faster and more reliable connection than wireless.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for reporting back.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The developers at that time probably didn't even consider that there would be a call for a device that's being used as a wireless extender to have the ethernet ports enabled simultaneously. Or the technology to do it, would have raised the price higher than they wanted vs the numbers that they deemed would need the functionality. Who knows...

This has been and will continue to be the way of technology for a long time to come yet. There will always be some hardware and/or software feature or function on the next one, not available on the last (not necessarily for the better).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.