Macbook Pro internet connection to Xbox 360 via wireless, not ethernet

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am attempting to do the opposite of what most others have done with their Macs and 360s...

I currently live in a school residence with our internet connection coming from an ethernet connection, which requires that the user sign in through a web browser to gain internet access. Unfortunately, the 360 does not have a web browser where I can sign in, so I am forced to sign in first on the Mac and share this connection via a router to the 360.

What I am hoping to do is take the Mac's connection and share it wirelessly (via airport) to the Xbox 360 (which has a wireless adapter). By doing this I eliminate the need for the router (which I am currently borrowing).

I have been able to connect to the Mac's airport, but have not been successful in accessing the internet connection.

I am VERY new to Macs, as the Macbook Pro I am using is my first Mac and less than a week old (so please be exhaustive in your suggestions).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

- Andrew

Reaction score

I had the same problem as you, all the forums do it the exact opposite way so I was forced to figure it out myself. If you haven't figured it out yet, its actually very easy. Because the Xbox isn't as good at detecting wireless settings as say... your iPhone or iPod is, you can enlist the help of either one, or at least thats what I did.

Set up the wireless network on your Macbook with or without an encryption. Make sure its either 5 characters for 40-bit or 13 for 128-bit if you do use one. Then, log into this wireless network using your iPhone or iPod (or iPad), then hit the blue arrow that brings you to advanced settings. These are the settings you want to copy into your Xbox. Go back to your Xbox and search networks, locate yours, and enter the password you created for it. Once it says its connected,, enter in all of the settings from your iPhone into their according fields. For secondary DNS, you can leave it blank. Then hit Test Live Connection and you should be golden.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.