External Hard Drive Format

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on re-formatting my external hard drive (used to be FAT32) and I am wondering what options I should choice in disk utility. I am planning on storing media on the hard drive and I don't need it to work natively with Windows.

From my research online, these are the options I came up with: Mac OS Extended (no journaling) and GUID Partition Table scheme.

I chose no journaling because I am not going to be using the drive as a start-up disk. Are those good choices?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Are you going to read/view the data with a windows machine?
Do you plan to use Time Machine to do your Mac backups?
Have you considered partitioning the external and having a Mac side and a Windows side? - useful if you don't need to access any of the data on your win machine with your Mac and vice-versa

OP
I
Reaction score
Are you going to read/view the data with a windows machine?
Do you plan to use Time Machine to do your Mac backups?
Have you considered partitioning the external and having a Mac side and a Windows side? - useful if you don't need to access any of the data on your win machine with your Mac and vice-versa

I am not planning on using it at all with a windows machine and I am not planning on using it for Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I use; GUID partitioning table and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if Windows support is not an issue.

This will work with Time Machine (should you change your mind) and work flawlessly under OS X.

OP
I
Reaction score
I use; GUID partitioning table and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if Windows support is not an issue.

This will work with Time Machine (should you change your mind) and work flawlessly under OS X.

Thanks! I'll go with that.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
No problem at all, happy to help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.