Major Problems with my MacBook

Reaction score
Within past year i have been having major problems with my MacBook. I bought it in early 2008 and right after my 1 year warranty i started getting a few problems. At first my internal fans stopped working and now i have to constantly have a cooler under my laptop at all times, otherwise it overheats and restarts the computer.
After about 13 months or the original buy date, my hard drive went bad. For some reason my windows part of the HD would not boot up using BootCamp, and ended up spending many hours talking to a Tech person to come to the final conclusion that my hard drive had, in fact, become unusable.
Recently, i have been having my graphic problems. I can no longer play games on my windows side. After about 20-30 min of playing anything graphicly demanding, my computer freezes and then proceeds to declare that my graphics no longer work. I have personally updated my graphic card, so there should be no problems. I still continue to occasionally get a blue screen and then a restart. Oddly enough, whenever i go to restart my computer, it begins to do the shutdown sequence and then gets a blue screen, in which it immediately shuts of and restarts.
My main question is: Has my motherboard gone bad? I seem to be having some pretty big issues on a computer that is nearly 2 years old. I would have expected Apple to make a better product for the price i paid for this thing, i was expecting it to last at least as long as my parents computer (in which they paid 500$ and currently lasting about 5 years, without a single problem).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would like to know how you updated your graphic card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
MacBook or MacBook pro?

As for the first issue, the fan just after warranty, I would have taken it to Apple and I'm sure they would have dealt with it, as well as the HD.
As for the graphics card, .... It's integrated!
You say you changed it!?!
If it's the MBP, NVIDEA 8600M GT came out with a bunch of faulty Graphics card/processor etc which Apple extended the Warranty to 3yrs for it.
MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Anyway, I would still call apple with a complete rundown of the problems and when they occurred if you hadn't messed with the graphics.

C

chas_m

Concurred; now that you changed the graphics card, Apple won't touch that machine with a ten-foot pole and hazmat suits.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if the OP is confusing a Video Driver with the Graphics Integrated Chipset? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Good call dtravis7
Seeing that he called it a graphics card, it's not the obvious, but certainly possible.
Maybe he will clear the haze when/if he posts back.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
wow, that's pretty severe.

If he cares anymore, it was pretty stupid on his part to keep running the computer with inoperable fans. He probably slowly fried the logic board.

I dont even think he changed the graphics, considering its integrated; he must be confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3", Aluminum, 2.0 GHz Intel core duo, 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive
I had the problem with the the fan in my mac the day after my warranty was out I still took it to the apple store and they fixed it free of charge because it was a day out of warranty. But why would you continue to run the computer after the fan stopped working is beyond me :Oops: the computer turns off because it is too hot on the inside the ice pack I wouldn't think would help to rectify the over heating much... :Oops:

OP
A
Reaction score
Sry, it was late at night and maybe i wasnt typing correctly. It is a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro.
I updated my graphic card driver on my windows side. (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family) I was having a major problem after a recent windows update and it would get blue screens after about 10 mins of playing a game. I was then told my graphic driver was out of date, so i had to look it and and manually update it. I havnt bought anything new because the graphics are integrated so if i ever had to get a new graphic card, i would have to get a new motherboard.
My guess is that something is slowly dieing in my computer, because it seems to last shorter and shorter sessions, and im afraid its going to totally dump on me. My computer runs flawlessly though, besides all the graphic problems ive been having. Boots up fast and i very rarely get many errors.
As for that fans, it was about a month after warranty the fan(s) went out and had to buy a fan for it. I don't know if there are two fans or just one (or maybe more) but it seems at first only one was down, and now all of them dont work and no hot air blows out from the vents.
Another major problem i seem to have is my power cord for my mac. It actually gets so hot that it begins to small, and one time it actually burned my leg because i accidentally brushed against it with my leg.

If at any moment i am wrong with any of this, don't be afraid to explain to me what i did wrong lol. Im not any good at computers, but i do know how to go and google stuff to get answers, so thats what ive been doing so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

Thanks for the clarification.

Sry, it was late at night and maybe i wasnt typing correctly. It is a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro.
I updated my graphic card driver on my windows side. (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family) I was having a major problem after a recent windows update and it would get blue screens after about 10 mins of playing a game.

From what you've said previously, I don't think that's the problem at all. If the fans that cool the machine aren't working correctly, THAT is the problem. You obviously cannot run Windows "playing a game" for very long before the processor gets too hot. This would be equally true on any Windows machine.

I was then told my graphic driver was out of date, so i had to look it and and manually update it. I havnt bought anything new because the graphics are integrated so if i ever had to get a new graphic card, i would have to get a new motherboard.

Neither of which is possible, so just forget it.

The only thing you can replace the motherboard on that Mac with is another exactly the same motherboard from an identical model. No upgrade.

My guess is that something is slowly dieing in my computer, because it seems to last shorter and shorter sessions, and im afraid its going to totally dump on me.

You are right. It will.

My computer runs flawlessly though, besides all the graphic problems ive been having. Boots up fast and i very rarely get many errors.
As for that fans, it was about a month after warranty the fan(s) went out and had to buy a fan for it. I don't know if there are two fans or just one (or maybe more) but it seems at first only one was down, and now all of them dont work and no hot air blows out from the vents.

To the best of my knowledge, the fans on the MacBook are custom-made for it and cannot be replaced except by grafting in the identical fans from an identical model. So, again, I'd say this is the source of all your issues.

Another major problem i seem to have is my power cord for my mac. It actually gets so hot that it begins to small, and one time it actually burned my leg because i accidentally brushed against it with my leg.

[is too boggled at the incredible danger this user is putting himself in to come up with a suitable reply]

If at any moment i am wrong with any of this, don't be afraid to explain to me what i did wrong lol. Im not any good at computers, but i do know how to go and google stuff to get answers, so thats what ive been doing so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You SERIOUSLY need to stop mucking about with this thing and either take it in to get properly fixed or replace the machine entirely. From your description I wouldn't have that thing in my house at all, too much of a fire/explosion hazard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.