• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD Crashing

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Had to buy a new macbook to replace my two year old model which was stolen recently. New machine is the standard macbook with the following spec:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system): WQ949ETY8PW
Hardware UUID: 29738BA7-61ED-5A8E-823A-410C76B2B527
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Having a little difficulty with the new machine - even though it's specs are equal to ( and better in terms of drive capacity ) than my last machine I find its performance sluggish and am skeptical about the 2gig of RAM which comes as standard now. I've seen more of the spinning beach ball in the last week than I did with my old machine in six months.

However, that's a seperate issue; I'm having difficulty with iDVD crashing when I try to load up an .avi to burn as a DVD. The file in question is a Blu-Ray copy of a movie ( legit ) which is 2.6gig in size ( .mkv in format)

Having had previous problems with Magic iDVD I got a workaround from the forum here which was to convert .avi or other format files to .mov using Divx Doctor and load these. This worked pretty well in the past.

When I do this the file is still over two gigs in size.
With the new machine I find when I drop the file into iDVD and try to burn I get a message telling me 'the project exceeds the maximum content duration...' and to change the encoder settings in 'Project info'. When I did this in the past and selected 'High Quality' things normally went off without a hitch.

Now the spinning beach ball of death appears for a while and then the application crashes with the following details in the report.... ( can anyone help??):

Process: iDVD [13276]
Path: /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/MacOS/iDVD
Identifier: com.apple.iDVD
Version: 7.0.4 (1116)
Build Info: iDVD-11160000~4
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [75]

Date/Time: 2010-02-14 02:08:09.127 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10A2047)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 544331 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 20
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 3639 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 6
Anonymous UUID: F581D4EA-80FD-4803-9559-03DC44FF3D26

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

OP
V
Reaction score
This post has dropped away without anyone offering an answer.....just re-floating it in the hope that someone can give me some advice....??

thanks...
Mike.

OP
V
Reaction score
Idvd crashing...

Hi folks,
Posted this already in 'Applications and Games' but got no response. Am hoping this forum might be more appropriate...

Had to buy a new macbook to replace my two year old model which was stolen recently. New machine is the standard macbook with the following spec:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system): WQ949ETY8PW
Hardware UUID: 29738BA7-61ED-5A8E-823A-410C76B2B527
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Having a little difficulty with the new machine - even though it's specs are equal to ( and better in terms of drive capacity ) than my last machine I find its performance sluggish and am skeptical about the 2gig of RAM which comes as standard now. I've seen more of the spinning beach ball in the last week than I did with my old machine in six months.

However, that's a seperate issue; I'm having difficulty with iDVD crashing when I try to load up an .avi to burn as a DVD. The file in question is a Blu-Ray copy of a movie ( legit ) which is 2.6gig in size ( .mkv in format)

Having had previous problems with Magic iDVD I got a workaround from the forum here which was to convert .avi or other format files to .mov using Divx Doctor and load these. This worked pretty well in the past.

When I do this the file is still over two gigs in size.
With the new machine I find when I drop the file into iDVD and try to burn I get a message telling me 'the project exceeds the maximum content duration...' and to change the encoder settings in 'Project info'. When I did this in the past and selected 'High Quality' things normally went off without a hitch.

Now the spinning beach ball of death appears for a while and then the application crashes with the following details in the report.... ( can anyone help??):

Process: iDVD [13276]
Path: /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/MacOS/iDVD
Identifier: com.apple.iDVD
Version: 7.0.4 (1116)
Build Info: iDVD-11160000~4
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [75]

Date/Time: 2010-02-14 02:08:09.127 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10A2047)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 544331 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 20
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 3639 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 6
Anonymous UUID: F581D4EA-80FD-4803-9559-03DC44FF3D26

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
*** Threads Merged. No Duplicate threads please. ***

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.