Can I use my new Macbook Pro as a monitor for a PC tower

Reaction score
Hi

This may seem like a strange question but it's basically a space saving solution I need!

For my work I need a software package that only runs on Windows and I refuse to put windows onto my brand new Macbook Pro. So work has given me an old PC tower and monitor.

However, having a second computer, monitor etc on my desk has become very cramped and I am wondering if I can plug the PC into my Macbook to use it as a monitor.

I hope someone can tell me if this is possible and how!

Thanks
Nik

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not possible. The only Mac that has both input and output video is the new 27" iMac. If you had that instead of a MBP you could use its monitor. Your MBP only works in one direction - video out.

Solution: Put Windows on your MBP. I have Windows 7 running on mine and it runs great. Gives me the best of both worlds.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you looked at Connect Across Platforms with Remote Desktop Connection | Mactopia? It allows Macs running 10.4.9 and higher to control Windows boxes (XP Pro, Vista, and a few others) without needing to have a second monitor.

I have not used it personally but it seems like it will do the job. I suggest you check the limitations though. One limitation is that it apparently cannot wake a hibernating machine. unless I misread some of the information.

OP
N
Reaction score
Solution: Put Windows on your MBP. I have Windows 7 running on mine and it runs great. Gives me the best of both worlds.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I was going to put Windows on but then my Mac dealer told me I would have to also install anti-virus to protect my MBP from Windows viruses. He did not recommend so I chickened out. Now Im not sure...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the response. I was going to put Windows on but then my Mac dealer told me I would have to also install anti-virus to protect my MBP from Windows viruses. He did not recommend so I chickened out. Now Im not sure...

Well, that's at least half right so I guess that's a start. If you decide to put Windows on your Mac you would need to install anti-virus protection on your Windows partition. Just as you would for a Windows PC. Some, although I think it is a small few, of our members also run anti-viral software on their Mac partition but that seems to be more to prevent spread of Windows viruses to their Win using friends.

You might want to check out this thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/23835-official-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.