Where Can I Upgrade RAM On My MacBook?

Reaction score
I have an early 2008 white 2.1 GHz MacBook that I purchased in July 2008. I bought it for school and figured that the 1 GB of RAM that it came with at the time would suffice. As time has gone on, though, it has not and I have finally decided to upgrade the RAM. Anyways, on the recommendation of someone, I went to this site, and upgraded to 2 GB. As I go to put it in last night, I had some interesting issues. I would get the beep when the computer started and sometimes it would start up, but it would only show up as 1 GB of RAM and the computer would act funny. However, most of the time, the beeps were just going on at start up so finally I put in the old RAM. So as I go to take it back, does anyone have any recommendations on where else I can purchase RAM? What are the recommended places?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yep i recommend OWC~MacSales.
When in the site click on My OWC and you can put in your Mac specs and it will bring up all compatible RAM for your machine.
I live in Australia and never had a problem with delivery.
In fact i had my RAM in 5 working days using UPS.
Couldnt recommend them enough :)

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Quick question, though: from looking at these links, it seems that the RAM I bought has the same specifications (i.e. DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz, PC5300, etc.) as the one I bought. Is there a reason why mine isn't working then? Is it a brand thing, where some brands just work and some don't? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Could be as simple as a bad stick of ram. It happens.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You probably just got a bad stick. Although it's not recommended for best performance, I believe you could try installing the new sticks one at a time in combination with one of your old sticks. If it boots fine with one of the new sticks and has issues with the other, then you definitely have a bad piece.

Reaction score
I prefer Newegg myself. If you're in the US, your products will be delivered very fast. I ordered 4GB's of RAM and a 320GB HDD for my previous macbook and it arrived the very next day. Of course, it helps that my house is less than 200 miles away from their New Jersey distro center too though. :D

Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the RAM i ordered works great. haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And it could be LOW density RAM as well. I will work in a Win PC but Mac's need a higher density RAM for it to work

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.