Apple LED Cinema Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
I'm going to be using this monitor as an 'extension' to my MBP 13" when I am at home. (i know it's expensive but I want all apple products, anyway) Can i set this up to be its own monitor.
Meaning: on the laptop can i have safari open then move the mouse to the left and use the Apple LED Cinema Display for something totally different, i.e watching a movie, or does it have to mirror the display which would be useless.

I'm pretty sure i can, just wanna make sure before i buy it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to be using this monitor as an 'extension' to my MBP 13" when I am at home. (i know it's expensive but I want all apple products, anyway) Can i set this up to be its own monitor.
Meaning: on the laptop can i have safari open then move the mouse to the left and use the Apple LED Cinema Display for something totally different, i.e watching a movie, or does it have to mirror the display which would be useless.

I'm pretty sure i can, just wanna make sure before i buy it

You will have no problem using the external monitor to "extend your desktop". All 13" MacBook Pros are capable of running an external monitor in "extended desktop mode"...or "mirroring mode".

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. I believe that the 13" MacBook Pros have a "mini-display" port...so if you're getting the 24" Apple LED display...you won't even need an adapter.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
yup thats correct they do so i wont need the adapter. and thank you for the reply

Reaction score
check out the refurb section on the apple site. i got my 24 inch display there for 599.00 you will love this monitor!

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
yeah only the 30in and I'm def not paying more for a monitor then I did the laptop ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2.26GHz
Just something you might want to note, i have a 20" apple cinema display hooked up to my mbp and if I have a movie up on any website e.g youtube, iplayer etc, if I select 'full screen' on the window of that movie, i cant click on anything e.g a pages document, that is open in the laptop screen without the fullscreen reducing back to the normal size on the site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.