Problems changing from Spain PC to UK mac keyboard

Reaction score
Hello, I've had some problems with my keyboards on a new Mac Mini. I originally tried to set up the mac for use with a spanish keyboard, discovered that this was, in fact, impossible, and settled for some other layout which the computer offered me. I soon was heartily fed up with the completely alien layout that it seemed to think suited the keyboard, and in exasperation ordered a mac keyboard. Now that I have received this, i have another problem: when I plug it in and go to keyboard setup in system preferences, there is no option to "detect keyboard type" or anything of the like, until I unplug the keyboard, at which point the offending button merrily pops up to taunt me.
I would like to know how to set up the mac for use with an Apple uk keyboard. Is this at all possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Normally, when you plug in a USB keyboard, a dialogue pane appears asking you to press a combination of keys so that the OS will recognise a) the hardware and b) key configuration.

SysPrefs offers Change Keyboard Type (I'm using Tiger). I have to ask a rather obvious question - after you've plugged in the new Mac k/b, have you actually tried using it?

Third item - have you changed the settings in SysPrefs > International to your present location and language?

Lastly - if all else fails, the MacOS will work readily with an ordinary (and much cheaper) PC keyboard.

OP
L
Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks for the feedback, but I solved the problem myself. Given the utter (and infuriating) failure of the keyboard option in system preferences to be vaguely useful, in a flash of inspiration I went into languages. Not the most obvious place to look, give the clearly labeled Keyboard option in the menu, but I was exalted to see an "input sources" section. I changed it to British and all was solved.

A most frustrating and counter intuitive process. One of the many reasons I use Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Of course - languages! Using International would have got you there as well. These things are sent to try us, and you now have the knowledge to impart to others. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.