Two questions about Fusion 3

Reaction score
Hello all, I just found your forum and figured someone could answer two simple questions for me.

I'm new to Fusion 3 having just purchased it yesterday. I'm struggling with two items. I'm using Windows 7 pro on the virtual machine.

1. I can see all of my document from my mac desktop, folders, etc, on the Fusion virtual PC. I know it said that I can modify the files in Windows and they will be modified on the mac side automatically. My question is, if I delete them from the Windows desktop, are they deleted from the mac desktop? I'm only using the Windows machine for two programs and I don't need a ton of icons on the desktop and would like to clear them off, but not if it will delete them.

2. I read some threads on USB drives. I have a USB drive that works perfectly on my mac and on my personal PC. But once I put Fusion on Win7 pro doesn't display the USB drive on the desktop or in the my computer window.

I followed the comments and noticed the USB icon in the menu bar at the bottom of fusion. I clicked on that and told it to install the drivers. I received the message saying the drivers were installed correctly and my new device was ready for us, but it still doesn't show up. I can click on that USB icon and unmount the drive, but I just can't see it. I've even unmounted it from the mac, left it plugged in and I can still see the black USB icon and it give me the option to unmount from win7 pro but I can't find it anywhere.

3. How do you shut down the Windows virtual machine? I can see the suspend icon and if I click the X to close the window, it asks if I want to suspend. But I don't see anything to shutdown the windows computer. Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks everyone. I hope these don't see too simple to answer. I've just not been able to figure them out.

John

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. I don't do any real work in Windows related to files in OS X. If you're talking about the Windows desktop, it's no different than a regular Windows desktop in that most things there should be only shortcuts to programs you've installed and not the actual program (unless you're one of those that has the extremely bad habit of installing programs to your desktop instead of the Programs folder).

2. Have you installed VMWare Tools yet? It's in the Virtual Machine menu item.

3. The same way you would any other Windows you're running - Start - Shutdown.
You can also quit VMWare to shut it down.
You can also click on the red dot in the top left corner of the window.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. On my desktop is not the actual program but the files. For example, a word document I created on the mac and resides on the mac desktop shows up on the pc desktop when I'm in Fusion. So every folder on my desktop and file on my desktop shows up there currently.

The instruction manual for fusion says there is a easy sharing setup which lets you share files from mac to pc or a more restrictive one. I picked the easier one so that I didn't have to move files if I needed them.

The VMtools are installed. I did that after I got the operating system set up. So I'm not sure how to use them to get that flash (usb) drive to show up. I'll keep playing and watching for other suggestions.

I did find the shutdown button when I click the start button. So I will try that and see if that will work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
1. My VMware3 doesn't mirror my mac desktop on my windows. (i use win7 also) I have a folder on my windows desktop that takes me to my mac files. If i have files on my windows desktop, they aren't related to my mac files so if i delete them there, they are gone, and don't delete anything on my mac side.

2. The USB is funny. If i'm looking at OSX and insert my USB stick, it mounts and i can read and write. If i then turn on VMware or activate it when it's already open, Windows does not see that USB. I then have to go to OSX, and eject the USB stick. Then I activate VMware, and have windows running, and then physically insert my USB Stick. It then shows up in "my computer" on my windows 7. (if it switch back to OSX, it doesn't see the USB).

3. bobtomay was right. You can go to start and shut down, or you can go to the VM bar at the top and underneath suspend you will see shut down. I almost never shut down windows. I just suspend it.

I use AutoCAD and Revit on windows and that's it. What do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
I use AutoCAD and Revit on windows and that's it. What do you use?
I have a general functionality question. I have a new MBP 2.66 / 4GB / 500GB@7200 / 15" matte. I'm struggling trying to decide if I want to run Win 7 via Boot Camp or Fusion3. I have but two Windows Programs to run, and only one is mandatory, that one is MS Outlook with it's 3,200 contacts, calendar, tasks, & notes for work. BlackBerry desktop mgr syncs Outlook to my Bold 9000.

Optional is Maya, as I'm not techically a switcher, but rather one who has added the MBP into the mix of Laptops I use. Maya is for work running well on my ThinkPad. The Mac is for my personal enjoyment.

So the question is how do you like Fusion? What if any is the loss in speed?
Knowing how I would use it, probably for Outlook only, do you endorse it, or would boot camp be my best choice? I do realize I would have to reboot if I chose boot camp, a fact that does not bother me at all.
Thanks for the feedback.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So the question is how do you like Fusion? What if any is the loss in speed? Knowing how I would use it, probably for Outlook only, do you endorse it, or would boot camp be my best choice? I do realize I would have to reboot if I chose boot camp, a fact that does not bother me at all.

If all you wish to do is run Outlook, why not download the free VirtualBox VM software from Sun Microsystems and use it instead? Why spend $70 or more for Fusion or Parallels just to run one or two Windows programs when VB is free and will do almost the same without some frills.

Boot Camp is likewise free but unless you're going to run Windows games or some 3D graphic intensive application, you may be better off using Virtual Software.

Another point: Microsoft will be releasing Office 2010 or 2011 for the Mac sometime late this year. It will include Outlook. You can then just move your Outlook contacts and files to the Mac version and press on. No need for Windows anything.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
2. The USB is funny. If i'm looking at OSX and insert my USB stick, it mounts and i can read and write. If i then turn on VMware or activate it when it's already open, Windows does not see that USB. I then have to go to OSX, and eject the USB stick. Then I activate VMware, and have windows running, and then physically insert my USB Stick. It then shows up in "my computer" on my windows 7. (if it switch back to OSX, it doesn't see the USB).

You gave me exactly what I needed to know with our message above. I went into my windows machine, inserted the USB drive and sure enough it came up. If I'm in the mac side, it only shows on the mac. That was a great answer.

I can't recall the exact setup setting that I was asked when installing fusion and windows. It asked if I wanted easier sharing of the files between mac and pc or a more secure one. So I am seeing all of my word documents that I keep on my mac desktop, like my weekly status report I send in and my current projects I'm working on. I can see all of the photos, folders, word documents, etc.

How do you get just a folder that when you double click will show you the mac hard drive without seeing all of the other files on the mac desktop. I would prefer that if possible.

I also can't figure out how to set the partition size. It only did it by default at 40 gig and I couldn't add any more to it.

Thanks again for your input. It was exactly what I needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good points! Thanks for the reminder, I do remember that it was reported Outlook would finally be included in MS Office for the Mac sometime this year. And I was also aware of Virtual Box but had forgotten. Any downside to virtualization software?
Based on your Mac experience, do you have a guess as to approx when the new Core i5 Arrandale MacBook Pros might be released?
Cheers...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good points! Thanks for the reminder, I do remember that it was reported Outlook would finally be included in MS Office for the Mac sometime this year. And I was also aware of Virtual Box but had forgotten. Any downside to virtualization software?
Based on your Mac experience, do you have a guess as to approx when the new Core i5 Arrandale MacBook Pros might be released?
Cheers...

The only downside to using virtualization software is if you need to run programs that require 3D rendering or fast graphics. (most newer games) VM software is not ready for that yet - even though the current versions of Fusion, Parallels, and VB are much improved.

As for when Apple will come out with a new MBP that uses the i5, it's hard to say. But as I stated in my previous reply, the MBP line is due to be upgraded soon. All I can say is stay tuned. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
even though the current versions of Fusion, Parallels, and VB are much improved.

As for when Apple will come out with a new MBP that uses the i5, it's hard to say. But as I stated in my previous reply, the MBP line is due to be upgraded soon. All I can say is stay tuned. :)
I truly appreciate your time and assistance.
Each year I upgrade my workstation class ThinkPad as I do very resource intensive work on that machine. I just took delivery of my new Quad Core i7 ThinkPad W510. With 8GB ram & dual SSD's it's a veritable rocket! One of the most noticeable speed increases in the last three years of new machines.

While I have no specific expectations nor do I need that much speed in my MacBook Pro, I am eager to purhase one with the Core i5 or i7 (whatever is offered) as the extra speed is indeed quite nice.

Doing some research I'm of the understanding, that as you suggested the upgrade interval for the MBP's is near. I already have a buyer lined up for the new MBP I just bought...ha..ha....

Hurry, hurry, Apple, your customers are waiting. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.