Spilled water on Macbook, 2 seconds later it shut off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We need a huge sign over the door

KEEP ALL LIQUIDS WELL AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTER

This includes beer, wine, tea, coffee, water, soda pop, coke etc etc.

Reaction score
yeah i recently spilled a glass of water on my macbook pro. something similar happened, i disassembled it, let it dry for about 2 days, and after reassembling it and crossing my fingers,i turned it on. Well it ran fine for about 10 min, then shut off. so i repeated the disassembling/reassembling process and now it looks like it's running okay (i'm using it right now!). I'm still dreading another shutoff, which undoubtedly harms the computer, would any of you advise taking it in somewhere to make it's alright?

much obliged,
nave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Taking it somewhere is going to cost probably more than the machine is worth. Apple for example, will recommend changing the logic board - around a $500 or more repair. And I'm sure any other authorized Apple repair service center will be the same.

Just keep your fingers crossed and hope that there are no future failures. If you did a good job getting all the water and possible corrosion cleaned up, you may be OK.

Reaction score
Just an update from my post earlier

Back on January 5th, I posted in this thread about how I idiotically spilled an entire glass of water on my 2010 Macbook Pro. Well, it's been six months and my laptop still shows no signs of long-term damage (I use it daily for CG production and am typing on it now).

I'm still incredibly amazed my laptop survived all that water...I am never doubting Apple hardware again.

Tips from an idiot-spill survivalist: If you want to increase your computer's chances of making it through, do not turn your machine back on until you are absolutely sure it is completely dry. I know it can be anxious, but have a little patience––you might save yourself an expensive logic board replacement.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice. Glad to hear your MBP is alive and well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.