Need help finding Web Cam 'USB 1' for G4 iMac 800Mhz OS 10.4.11 Skype etc.

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what web cams are available that I can use for my system. I need something cheap.

I did buy a Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 and downloaded the Macam driver, I was able to get it to work fine when it is just the macam open on my screen, the image is perfect, but when I tried to use it in Skype all we get is our image awash in blues and greens and looking like it is out of focus and no amount of adjusting makes it clear or clears the colors.

I don't know if I need to do some tweaking to get it to fully working, my computer savvy only goes so far. So I have to wonder if the package 'macam.component' is the problem and I haven't got it in the right place on my computer to work.

I'm searching everywhere for answers as I have family overseas and would love to video talk with them and it is getting very frustrating that everything I have tried won't work on Skype :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome mate and hope we can help..
From what i see is you have your system up to date with 10.4.11.
Which has me thinking, if the cam works as a normal cam and comes up with no blemishes, it could well be Skype that is the issue.
But 1st lets do a little trouble shooting.
1. Lets try and repair permissions... which is Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility
Once the window comes up in the left column, click on YOUR HD and then the Repair Permissions. Let it do its work, and if you havnt cleaned the system out for a while, it could take quite a while :(
Once its complete log out the back in and see if it works.
2. If it is still not working, create a user account, log out of your and then into the user account and see if it works.
3. it might be a matter of downgrading or upgrading if you havnt the latest Skype that is compatible to 10.4.11
4. It might help to if you uninstall it too. Not sure if it has a uninstaller for it. If it has use that and if not dl MainMenu and when you drag the App into it, it will trash ANY associated files/folders that are hidden away.
Re-install it and see if that works.

On that what version Skype are you using?
I am running Snow Leopard and had to downgrade to get it to work with my system.
Give all that a try and if it still persists come back to us and we will see what we can do.

But post your Skype version before hand and as much information possible, so it gives us a better chance of weeding out the problem for you.
Well hope it gets you started anyways :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

I suspect the problem is the USB 1, quite frankly. It works when you're not connected with Skype, the transfer rate being sufficient for video view using maccam, but once the data streaming starts, uh-oh!

If it's of any use, I have Skype v 2.7.0.330, using OS 10.4.11. However, my eMac is USB2. Unfortunately, your G4 iMac has no USB upgrade that I know of. Is it worth it to you to consider upgrading your Mac to a USB2 model?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly I see, sorry I haven't responded sooner got side tracked with other issues before I could get back to this unfortunately. :[

I am using the latest Skype which I only downloaded a couple or so months ago, it's system requirements are within my computers parameters. But I see both of you are using the previous version so am thinking I will probably need to downgrade to that.

I did the permissions, they didn't take long as I do them periodically. I didn't create a different user as wasn't sure whether you meant with Skype or on my computer, but decided I would try that as a last resort.

I did wonder about the USB knowing I had USB 1 and everything seems aimed at USB 2, but I didn't have a clue what the problems could be so your explanation now gives me the understanding and makes sense, so figured better to stop fighting what I had.

So my conclusion so far is that I have returned the web cam I had and now on the look out for a USB 1 web cam, once I have that I will test it out and if I'm still having problems will downgrade my Skype version.

Fingers crossed it will work, although I assume if it does my streaming video will be a basic stop/start look of images without the nice flowing video.

If things don't work I will be back screaming help again :Shouting: :D

Thanks lots for your help, I can stop pulling my hair out now and fiddling with one things after another looking for the ... why it won't work :Grimmace:

Off to find a USB 1 web cam ......

As far as upgrading to a new computer with USB 2, the lottery gods haven't be smiling down on me and sadly my pension doesn't extend to buying shiny new electronics gear, so my trusty old Mac will have to hang in there a bit longer :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.