problems installing on my ibook g4 desperately need help!!!

Reaction score
hi i had some problems with my ibook g4 and decided the best thing to do was to set it back to the original factory settings. so i've erased everything from the hard drive (after backing up) but nw when i put the install disk in after i click on the 'use english as a ain language' it tells me 'garageband20loops cannot be installed on this computer' and wont let me go any further.
there is nothing on the computer i can't stand to lose so there's no problem there. but i can't do anything with it.
i would really really appreciate some help with this. is it fixable??
thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is a strange message to have, that I have not come across before.
When you boot from the install disc, and select language, are you able to go to the menu bar to utilities>disk utilities?

OP
N
Reaction score
yes i can go to disk utlities - that's how i erased the hard drive. i have absolutely no idea how to proceed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd go there again!

then quit disk utility and try to proceed with installation.
Post back with result

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has me baffled!
How did you backup your system, and what problems were you having before you erased the disK?
I've also got to ask if it's the install discs that came with your iBook?

OP
N
Reaction score
yeah th discs came with the ibook. i've backed up to a wd external hard drive. i was having some problems with storage space. also i did something weird to itunes when i was trying to make room...it wouldn't open any more. so that's when i decided to do a clean up and just start again...excellent plan so it would seem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about trying to restore from your backup, through utilities in the menu after selecting language.
Then, restart, and remove itunes with AppCleaner and then download iTunes again!
Then maybe tackle the issue again later :p

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks, i'll try in the morning...if i spend any more time on it today i may end up taking my fustration out on it and that might not help! thanks foyour help though...i'll post to let you know how i go...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like the disc could be scratched or dirty and having issues reading that portion of the disc.

I'd try cleaning it,even if it doesn't appear to need it. Might would try a cleaning disc also, but not sure you'll be able to run one without an OS installed.

Next thing to try, there should be an option when you go to install, that allows you to pick the optional installs you want and deselect Garageband. If that gets you installed, you can try the Garageband install after you're up and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This link got a smile out of me, but I don't know that I would try it.
Quickly removing scratches from CDs and DVDs | Wise Bread

You can get scratch removal kits at most musical and electrical/electronics shops.
Also, most video rental stores have dvd cleaning machines that I'm sure would put your disc in for you, as well as Video Game stores that deal in second hand games.
You could also ring Apple, and they may send you replacement grey install discs for your machine for the cost of shipping.

OP
N
Reaction score
alas! i fear it's time to go to the pro's! i'll post back and let you know what the prob was - it may help if someone else comes across this (apparently very unique) problem.
thanks for all your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.