• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best Program For DVD Authoring

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a program that will let you put as many hours of video as you want into a standard DVD .iso (4.7GB)? I've been using Visual Hub for years now and I've gotten as many as 18 hours on one DVD with decent quality but it doesn't seem to handle high-def video very well. Toast is a pain because it won't allow allow the quality below a certain level.

I just want to be able to mp4s and other hd video files and put them on a DVD without a whole lot of conversion hassles.

C

chas_m

Have you thought about just recording them on 8-hour VHS tapes? :)

Sorry, but such low quality is just ... well nevermind, let's just say I have a low opinion of such an endeavour and leave it at that.

You can put about 8-10 hours of DivX files on a single-sided DVD with quite acceptable quality using the "Home Theatre" profile, and there are a number of DVD players out there that can read DivX/XviD files straight off an ISO DVD. That is by far the least-hassle route I've come across.

Trying to put HD video on a standard-def DVD and expecting the same quality or without "conversion hassles" is just nutty.

I think your best bet is overnight batch-processing of MP4s (et al) to DivX/AVI Home Theatre profile, and buying a DVD player that can play it. It's worked out incredibly well for me.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have literally hundreds of hours of VHS tapes waiting for a digital conversion! lol

You're right chas, the whole concept is ridiculous but I have been successful before putting HD video onto DVD to watch on a standard 4:3 TV just not on the scale I talked about. I realize that the video quality degrades significantly and I am willing to accept that. I don't know if you have used VisualHub but it is an amazing app and unfortunately the company that made it went out of business and therefore no support. A lot of times it just comes down to specific tweaks in the .vob encoding process to tackle hd video. Anyway, it's too bad there's no reasonable alternative to the fantastic VisualHub.

Thanks for your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.