Help whats this file on my mac?!?!?!

Reaction score
hey guys so i know macs are not supposed to get viruses or anything but in my shared folder i have something that says "your-twa0macjqu" and when i click it, it trys to connect but fails it says. i cant delete the file either what is this? is it a virus or spyware of some sort? please help me asap

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First there is no Spyware on OSX. No actual Virus's either. Shared shows network shares. How are you getting your internet? Router? WiFi? Neighbors WiFi? If you are using your own WiFi are you using an encryption key like WEP, WPA, WPA2 on the router or WiFi Access point? That is a computer connected to your network. Is yours the only computer on your network?

OP
A
Reaction score
im using a router in my house...and i believe its a WEP...there are multiple computers in my house on the same network...is it just some one else in my family on the network/..thanks for the fast response

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It could be a computer in your house. Does that name look familiar at all? Check all the computers hooked to your router and see if any network name looks like that share. If not, WEP is easily hacked. That is why we always recommend here at Mac Forums for people to use WPA or WPA2. MUCH stronger encryption that is very hard to ever hack.

OP
A
Reaction score
well there is one other mac in the house and considering that there are 5 other house in my cirlce and nothing else around us and they all have theirs locked maybe its someone in my house...but just cause someone has access to my wireless doesnt mean they have access to all my information does it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's just a computer on your network. They can't log in unless you give them access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.