Adobe Illustrator won't open.

M

macocroft

Since I installed Adobe Creative Suite CS4 Design Premium 2 days ago, Illustrator hasn't worked. Whenever I try to open it, it starts to load with the text "initializing plugins", then after a few seconds it crashes:

"The application Adobe Illustrator CS4 quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Relaunch to launch the application again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting .plist files, etc. but nothing, thus has, has worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Have you the latest updates for what ever OS you are running??
Tried to repair permissions?
Or to do a good system cleanup try
Oynx or my personal favourite MainMenu and that version is free.

You could even go as far as booting from install disk and repair permissions that way ..
But try these suggestions and if still doesnt work post back and we can give you some more input.
But do post your specs and what OS you have

Cheers

OP
M

macocroft

After I installed it the first time, I copied the fonts from the 3rd CD ("Content") into Font Book. I tried deleting some from the library/fonts folder, but it didn't help. Is there a simple way to reset my fonts back to the system default?

I tried installing on a different computer, and it works fine, so I don't believe it was the disk.

Have you the latest updates for what ever OS you are running??
Tried to repair permissions?
Or to do a good system cleanup try
Oynx or my personal favourite MainMenu and that version is free.

You could even go as far as booting from install disk and repair permissions that way ..
But try these suggestions and if still doesnt work post back and we can give you some more input.
But do post your specs and what OS you have

Cheers

Repairing disk permissions didn't help, nor did a system cleanup using MainMenu

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Build 9L31a
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OP
C

chas_m

Is it possible you have some third-party plug-ins that got imported over from an earlier version?

OP
M

macocroft

Is it possible you have some third-party plug-ins that got imported over from an earlier version?

Before installing the creative suite 2 days ago, I had only ever used the trial of Illustrator, and did not install any plug-ins. I also deleted all Adobe files & folders before re-installing, so unless something was hidden somewhere not labelled as Adobe, I don't think there's any third-party plug-ins for any adobe products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Before installing the creative suite 2 days ago, I had only ever used the trial of Illustrator, and did not install any plug-ins. I also deleted all Adobe files & folders before re-installing, so unless something was hidden somewhere not labelled as Adobe, I don't think there's any third-party plug-ins for any adobe products.

You need to dl AppCleaner and when you drag a app to it it will scan your system and trash any associated files/folders for that app.
Might be a bit late now you have already trashed it.
But to your specific problem the cogs are still turing ATM

Cheers

OP
M

macocroft

You need to dl AppCleaner and when you drag a app to it it will scan your system and trash any associated files/folders for that app.
Might be a bit late now you have already trashed it.
But to your specific problem the cogs are still turing ATM

Cheers

I tried AppCleaner; deleted Illustrator, then reinstalled, but the problem persists.

OP
M

macocroft

Called Adobe, and was eventually directed to a page which told me to disable user fonts. Problem solved :). Thanks everyone for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.