Counter on iWeb

Reaction score
Hi,
I was trying to add a counter on my website that I created with iWeb - I got as far as putting it on the page in iWeb, but when it is published it doesn't appear. The same thing happens with the "search" box - it is there in the design phase, but is lost in the publishing/uploading.

Any solutions?

Thanks,
Aubrey
www.beachycove.ca

Reaction score
I've not tried what you are doing but have added a counter via a widget...just went out on web & got html to add to widget snippet & it worked like a charm.

Is it possible your search box needs to be brought to front? Is it hidden behind something?

OP
A
Reaction score
hmmm....not sure bout your second question - I don't think it's hidden behind something. It's right there on the page when I am designing it - just doesn't materialize when I "publish" the site changes.

I should play around with your first suggestion...not really sure how it works, but will give it a try.

Thanks,
Aubrey

Reaction score
if you are publishing via FTP the hit counter built into iWeb will not work. You have to be on the mobileme servers in order for it to work. Which i find is stupid

OP
A
Reaction score
ftp

Hi and thanks...maybe that's my problem. I am just "publishing" via ftp.

Thanks for solving the mystery. Will have to do without a counter I guess! :Grimmace::Grimmace:

Aubrey

Reaction score
Counter

Hi. Forget a counter. Get a tracker. Type in extreme tracking in Google and follow your nose. FTP is not a problem.

C

chas_m

iWeb's OWN page counter won't work without MobileMe, but that doesn't mean you can't have a web page counter if you want -- just copy the "embed" code for any web page counter you want (re: Vinny Vegas' tip) and use "HTML Snippet" in iWeb to add it to your site.

But yes, tracking can (in some cases) be a better idea than hit counters.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks so much...will give this a try. Never heard of this before, but will definitely take a look.

Aubrey

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok...did it and it seems like a great idea. However, I am not happy with the placement of the logo on my website. How can I delete the HTML snippet so I can start over and reposition it on my site?

(www.beachycove.ca)

Thanks,
Aubrey

C

chas_m

Ok...did it and it seems like a great idea. However, I am not happy with the placement of the logo on my website. How can I delete the HTML snippet so I can start over and reposition it on my site?

(www.beachycove.ca)

Thanks,
Aubrey

1. Open the page in iWeb.

2. Locate the box the HTML snippet is in

3. Select the box and press delete (or move it -- a bit tricky to do sometimes)

OP
A
Reaction score
That's my problem - I can't seem to select the box...it's just too wonky!!! :(

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok...got it deleted...pays to read directions sometimes! :)

Ok...one more question. How can I insert a word file into an iWeb page? I want the document to show up in its entirety (it's just a one-pager) and not the link.

Thanks for your help!

Aubery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook : 2.26ghz,2gb ram and love it
Counters are terrible anyway. I had clients who 100% insisted upon having a counter on their site. Several major flaws with them.. Every time you refresh the page or go back to that page, it counts it as a fresh hit. That drives me insane. I prefer to follow the tracking patterns via the server control panel.

I am sorry if i seem harsh on counters. I just had flashbacks of one of the most annoying clients ever in humanity, when I saw the word counter.:eek:

C

chas_m

Ok...got it deleted...pays to read directions sometimes! :)

Glad to hear it worked!

Ok...one more question. How can I insert a word file into an iWeb page? I want the document to show up in its entirety (it's just a one-pager) and not the link.

You'll want to convert it to a PDF or a JPEG image file and just "place" it like you would an image, or convert it to styled text and re-lay it out on your site.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,
I converted it to .pdf and did the "drag n' drop" thing but it appears way too small for human cornea...lol......it seems as if when I make it larger by dragging on the corners, it will resize it, but when it is "dragged and dropped" (which is what needs to happen to me right now!) it doesn't show the bottom part of the document. It's the "March 2010" calendar on our website (www.beachycove.ca).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Aubrey

Reaction score
Counters are terrible anyway. I had clients who 100% insisted upon having a counter on their site. Several major flaws with them.. Every time you refresh the page or go back to that page, it counts it as a fresh hit. That drives me insane. I prefer to follow the tracking patterns via the server control panel.

I am sorry if i seem harsh on counters. I just had flashbacks of one of the most annoying clients ever in humanity, when I saw the word counter.:eek:

Have you tried this one:

Quick-counter.net - HTML code for web site hit counter - No registration needed

It seems to only count 1 IP address per day, at least in my testing.

Copy their code (they have a few variations for you) paste it into an iWeb HTML snippet and you're all set. Even if you are not on Mobile Me.

It should also be mentioned that if your web host provides MySQL/PHP support, or any other database/scripting support, you can pretty easily write your own hit counter to do whatever you want.

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.