grr EVEN MORE PROBLEMS! eMAC g4

Reaction score
alright well now my little box of trouble has a weird color thing is normal on ever other part of the screen but if any thing even hovers over that side it changes color

i made a video to show you (youtube) YouTube - Mac-forums.com help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I watched your video and could see some discoloring, but honestly it really looks like it might be the display itself. You showed another monitor in your video - have you tried hooking it up to the eMac to see if the other monitor displays the same problem? There's a possibility that the discoloring might be caused by a graphics defect.

Your eMac G4 is rather old and probably not worth spending much money on in the event it needs to be repaired. If you can live with the discoloring, that might be best. Of course you can always buy a new computer. $$$

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
i haven't tried hooking it up as i didnt have a mini vga to vga cable
but the only reason im asking is i can live with discoloring its just i have bad eyes so its kinda hurts to look at.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, machines of that vintage had issues with defective capacitors - it wouldn't surprise me if yours was one of them. In fact, the eMac is specifically mentioned in the Wiki article about the capacitor plague.

If you are able, open the case and inspect the logic board see if you can find any crowned or burst capacitors.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That really looks like a monitor issue. Almost looks like the screen is magnetized like on older Color TV's. By any chance do you have a speaker close to one side of the emac with a non shielded magnet?

Also some large transformers too close to a CRT can distort things and colors on part of the screen.

OP
O
Reaction score
i guess that may be the problem time to move the mac and see if it changes.

EDIT: yay thanks it was the tv now my lines and discoloring is gone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.