Mac Mini or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I have an HP dv2000t with the external monitor output not displaying red.. Should I just dish out the $1600~ for a 15" mbp, or get a mac mini (run 2 separate computers)?

Clarification:
I have a laptop that can't output external monitor, which I really like to use when I am at home.
Should I use laptop by itself, and use the monitor for mac mini, or new MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
That's a hard one to answer; more information would be needed to help you make a decision like:

Do you need portability?
Do you want portability?
What do you plan on using your Mac for?
Do you plan on playing games in Bootcamp?
What additional features are things you need/want?
What kind of a budget are you willing to shell out?

The way it is right now, what you're asking is like going to a Ford dealership and asking should I buy a Fiesta or should I buy a Mustang?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...the most important issue is portability or not?

If you need portability...then get a laptop. If you don't need portability...get the Mac-Mini.

But...if you're willing & able to spend $1600 on a laptop...but you don't need portability. Then you could also spend the same $1600 on a really nice 27" iMac...which would be MUCH nicer than any Mac-Mini.

Something to consider,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mention that dv2000t is a laptop..

let me clarify.

I have a laptop that can't output external monitor, which I really like to use when I am at home.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Still makes me wonder what your use will be for the system. Either option is a viable one depending on what you want to do with it. Obviously you want portability, the mini is not designed to be a "portable" system. Do you want to play games in bootcamp? do you plan on doing video editing? etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

This seems to be a completely different question than what started this thread?

Initially you asked if you should purchase a Mac-Mini or a MacBook Pro.

Now you're asking if you should use your external monitor with a Mac-Mini or a MacBook Pro that you don't even own! Very confusing.

Sure you can use your external monitor with either a Mac-Mini or a MacBook Pro...but that still leaves you with the decision on which to buy...a Mac-mini or a MacBook Pro.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
Get the Mini, it's cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Knee-jerk response is get the mini for use at home with your monitor and use your existing laptop on the go (if it adequately serves your needs).
However, future-thinking... do you see yourself wanting to replace your existing laptop some time in the next year? If you'll get rid of it soon anyways, might as well get the MBP since it will serve both needs of portability and connect to a monitor when at home. That's something only you can know for sure.

S

SpinningCompass

I can't offer a simple answer because I don't fully understand your needs. I'm a recent Mac convert but I've used a combination of laptops, desktops and PDAs for the past four years to get the job done. It all depends on your needs. If you're a software developer, you might benefit from having multiple platforms in easy reach. If you're a student, a writer, or a mad scientist, you might prefer to have just one computer which you take with you on your adventures and then plug into your docking station at the end of each day.

My gut tells me, get the MacBook. You can use a BookEndz docking station. That way, you'll have two screens to play with. :) Now that I think of it, I did own a Mac Mini in 2005. I really liked it. My then-girlfriend made me sell it. I sort of wish I had kept the Mac Mini and ditched the girlfriend.

Where was I? Oh, yeah - buy a MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Am I getting this right? You have a pc laptop that you have hooked up a secondary monitor on but it's going (or it just can't do it?)... It also sounds like you want an extra for at home use. Either a mini which you can hook up the monitor (and also your laptop) or a mbp.

If you are looking to work on the go, then mbp (I can't advise you on that as I don't have one), but honestly that would just replace the PC on you have. The mini (I have and just pack the box in my knapsack and take it on the bus with me to visit my family-if that is the only portability you need then it's a good option). My mini is about from 2005 so I'm not sure of the improvements with the newer ones. Mine is OK for games and apps but I wouldn't advise for heavy graphical games and apps as it's kinda slow but it does the job. I'm not too sure but mbp might be better, especially the newer ones but I would check some of the threads as I have seen recommendations to that.

You should take a look at what your needs are for either. But if the PC fulfills your needs on the go then you could/would need to explore the improvement of mini to mpb for at home use and your needs there. Most people that buy a mac find they spend less time fixing and upkeep so I would look at what you need now but also with an eye for more use later lol. The mini would definitely get you started (you could even grab a refurb to see - I wonder if they give trials ::grins::). Both you can use an external monitor on I believe, but the mini you would need a keyboard and mouse.

Hope that helps ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies!

Mac OS really appeals to me, I want to use Garageband/Logic/Reason mainly, and taking to school for note-taking.

Maybe 1280x800 is not enough for music editing apps? Also, I use Adobe Flash on the go sometimes and find myself super cramped in 1280x800.

But then.... 1440x900 isn't huge either...

S

SpinningCompass

The 17" MacBook Pro has a native resolution of 1920 by 1200, according to Apple's website, but it weighs more than 6 lbs and costs $2500.

Is there an Apple store near you? You might benefit from picking one up (I mean physically lifting it), seeing if the resolution suits your eye, and so on. In the end, you'll have to sacrifice one of the following - cost, weight, screen resolution - in order to satisfy the other two.

OP
S
Reaction score
SpinningCompass,

I have heard of people being able to "rent" a Mac to test drive... is this true? I want to see if the bigger size is able to fit in my environment...

It's either gonna be 15 or 13..

S

SpinningCompass

I have heard of people being able to "rent" a Mac to test drive... is this true?
I'm sorry, I don't know that answer to that question.

If you want to try one out for more than a few minutes, perhaps you could chat to members of your local Mac Club? Their members might let you tinker with a MacBook or two. If possible, try Adobe Flash on both sizes of laptop. Better yet, ask on the Adobe forums to see if anyone there has found their 13" laptop screen to be too small for their purposes.

If it's either gonna be 15 or 13, I vote 13. If you're cramped on a 13, you'll probably be cramped on a 15 (but YMMV). The 13 is lighter and cheaper. With the money you'll save, buy a really good external LCD monitor and a docking station.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've tried a 13, feels like a pretty decent size. My current lappy is 14.1

I just think the 15 inch would have some nice looks :D

I will see if I can fool with someone's 15, or go to the apple store...

There are MAC CLUBS? :O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Do I need a Volkswagen Rabbit or a Volkswagen W8?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.