New imac g5 dead after 5 weeks

B

blade8

Needless to say, being a new user I'm not impressed with the current Apple Retailer Service since my puter's demise.
I
n short, my new imac died in just over 5 weeks of use. Mind you, it has only been used to surf/email and itunes. The day it died, i was listening to a track in my itunes library! :(

I've read recent posts re: power supply/mid plane being a problem with the new g5's. Of course, there is no mention of this on Apple's web-site: wonder why?

Anyway, according to my local Apple Retailer Tech, the parts were ordered last Monday, and are on back-order; no clue as to when they will actually arrive.

I'm just hoping that in buying my first mac this isn't going to be an ongoing issue. Lord knows, with the money i've spent, I don't want a lemon!!

I hope this "pc switcher" finds smoother sailing with his mac in the future.

Regards,
blade8

P.S. Great info on this forum!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
What exactly was the problem? I was worried yesterday when my new 20" started screaming, and i'm not exagerating, everything went on full rpm, and started whining! And then it stopped again, and i resetted the MSU..!
So what exactly happened to yours?
Alex

OP
B

blade8

The Apple shop has ordered a power supply and mid plane (logic board). They have given me no cause of the problem. I guess they start off by replacing the power supply(cheapest part $86) and then, if that works, they don't replace the board, which is $732...ouch! I will post back when I find out what exactly the problem was.
blade8

Reaction score
Sorry for your problems, you must have been born under an unlucky star. To give a little encouragement, my iMac G5 has been working almost 6 months with absolutly no problems what so ever.

OP
B

blade8

I got the imac back last night..got the call early evening and couldn't wait until morning. Its "dieing" problem was the pwr. supply; logic board was fine on ck-out.
Hope my electronic "blk cloud" has passed for the time being. Also, i loaded in a 1gb stick and running, ahhhhhhh smooth. Now, to get on with my projects and being a switcher...ha!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here to hopefully all your problems have been resolved. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.