Video won't play

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help me with this please?

I am working on a brand new 13" macBook Pro, 2.53GHz. I Have installed the system software successfully plus FCP, Autodesk Cleaner and VLC.

Quicktime X comes with the install software and I can open .mov files in Quicktime with no problems. However, when I try to play a film clip on the internet (using Safari 4.0.4 or Firefox 3.6) I get told that I need Quicktime to view the movie, which of course I have.

I've tried various sites one of which is the apple trailers site (Apple - Movie Trailers) but always get the same message.

It seems like my browsers won't recognise that I have Quicktime already installed.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you
John

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They're playing here on mine. But did notice they're using QT 7 and not QT X that shipped with Snow Leopard.

Check in Applications / Utilities and see if you have QT 7 installed - I don't think SL installs it with a default installation.

If you don't have it installed, insert your OS X disc and open up the Optional Installs folder - start the Optional Installs.mpkg, go through that and install QT7. Let us know if that works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.