Imac 17" Distorted monitor color

Reaction score
Monitor has distorted colors; fuzzy almost a posterized effect. This just happened today on start up. Restarted no different. Started holding command option p and r. no difference. When i changed user it is fine on other user name. ?? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You likely have one or more corrupted settings that are causing the problem. Might even be from a specific program. Are you running the same programs and settings for the "user" you switched to? Finding the cause might mean removing and reinstalling programs. It may just be easier to remove the user profile where you're experiencing the problem.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The user that is the problem is the one that has ALL my important documents and information. How do i get all that info over to the new user? Also the original user has full access privileges. When I try and open documents from the new user finder, I get a window: The folder could not be opened because I don't have sufficient access privileges. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moving programs, info, files, data, and associated permissions from one user to another is a manual process. It can be tedious and may even require you to reinstall some programs again. Certain programs (MS Office for one) have files and folders scattered about and are difficult to move without a reinstall.

If possible, - and if you've been making regular backups with Time Machine - try recovering from a backup first. If you haven't been making backups, you've got to decide on either a reinstall or manually moving all your user info to the new user. You will also have to assign the new user "admin permissions".

See the following Apple discussion thread for which files have to be moved:

LINK

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.