VM Fusion 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Last week purchased VMWARE Fusion 3 and installed it yesterday as a Windows XP Pro Boot Camp partition.

Boot Camp, by the way, had been working just fine.

After rebooting the system, I find out that that I am unable to connect to the internet using the Windows VM. In addition, I no longer am able to connect to the internet using Boot Camp!!! Boot Camp did NOT have this problem until Fusion was installed. :Angry-Tongue:

Contacted their "help" desk and was quite less than pleased with their service. I requested a "supervisor" and was told one was not available. Sure. :Grimmace:

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of value?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd check your ethernet settings in Windows - unless the ethernet card drivers have been totally hosed by fusion, you should be able to adjust your settings - I'm not sure what your settings were before, but I'd check to make sure the ethernet 1) hasn't been disabled and 2) is configured for proper use on your network (ie: if you use a DHCP server, make sure the settings are proper to use it, if you don't make sure all of the IP information is filled out)

That's the first thing I would check, in both bootcamp and in fusion to see how they might be screwing each other up. Honestly, I never use fusion to boot my bootcamp partition

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I'd check your ethernet settings in Windows - unless the ethernet card drivers have been totally hosed by fusion, you should be able to adjust your settings - I'm not sure what your settings were before, but I'd check to make sure the ethernet 1) hasn't been disabled and 2) is configured for proper use on your network (ie: if you use a DHCP server, make sure the settings are proper to use it, if you don't make sure all of the IP information is filled out)
I went over a number of settings with the "tech rep" and nothing seemed out of place to him -- it's over my head so I must rely on outside help here.

Reaction score
Via Fusion, did you install the VMWare Tools? This loads the drivers for the VMWare devices.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Via Fusion, did you install the VMWare Tools? This loads the drivers for the VMWare devices.
VMWare Tools were installed. The tech rep had me confirm its installation.

FWIW the tech rep was at a loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity, if you boot into bootcamp, does it show any of the Ethernet adapters as disabled? Or more than one showing connected?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Just out of curiosity, if you boot into bootcamp, does it show any of the Ethernet adapters as disabled? Or more than one showing connected?

Shows 1394 Connect and LAN connected. Wireless is shown connected, but disabled.

For DaFlake: I did re-install the tools to no avail.

I'm in a bind in that I really need to get this issue resolved so that I can log onto my work computer - Internet 6 browser MUST be operative - and so I'm thinking of resetting up Boot Camp, and also deleting and reinstalling Fusion.

It really won't take long for me to do this as I have only 2 programs that need to be installed under Windows.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a wise decision or not?

Again, my reason for doing this is that I need to be able to log on to my office computer.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try this:

in Fusion at this point since you're using OSX obviously to post here to help keep you from rebooting every five seconds - just remember to check this on the bootcamp side)

If in Fusion, check whether you are using Bridged mode or NAT for the network adapter settings. If you can use multiple IP's for your computer, go ahead and set Bridge mode - and make sure it's bridged to the proper ethernet adapter you are using on your Mac (nat mode is great, but I want to try to get vmware to run the bootcamp partition so it appears as a separate computer on your network instead of on an isolated network that uses your Mac acting like a router/gateway).

Once you have windows running in fusion, open a command prompt, (start - run - type in: cmd <enter>
type:
ipconfig -all

Look for the Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection, and check:

DHCP enabled
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default GW
DNS Servers

and see what they are filled in as. If the IP address reports something like:

169.254.x.x - you have an automagically assigned private IP address (an APIPA address) which is non-routeable and probably the source of your problem.

If your ip address is 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x - then you have an appropriate private IP address - whether it's correct for your network or not may be another issue - one way to check is to open a terminal on OSX and type ifconfig - look for the entry for en0 and compare its IP/mask to what you see in windows - they should be in the same range (but different) and have the same mask. If that's ok, check to make sure your DNS servers are correct (you can compare them to the DNS settings on your Mac in your System Preferences networking pane). If that's correct, it's time to start trying to ping.

First in the command prompt that you have open in windows in bootcamp, try to ping the gateway by typing:

ping <IPADDRESSOFGATEWAY>

so if your Default GW IP is: 192.168.1.1 you'd type:

ping 192.168.1.1

just replace the numbers with the gateway you have reported and see what comes back.

If you get too desperate, before re-installing bootcamp, try uninstalling vmware tools and boot into bootcamp and see if anything starts to work again.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
If you get too desperate, before re-installing bootcamp, try uninstalling vmware tools and boot into bootcamp and see if anything starts to work again.
Tried to remove Fusion for a re-install, and an error poped up, so so I just threw my hands up and "reformatted" and reloaded the operating system and then Fusion.

All seems to work just fine. Sort of an "atomic bomb" solution, but it did work.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.