PowerMac G5 - cannot install OSX

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm going insane here, googled the net into atoms for answers...

I bought a secondhand PowerMac G5 (dual 1.8 etc.) which didnt start correctly.
Tried to reset all the PRAM etc. to no avail.

However it came with an extra logicboard so i switched to that one.

Now it boots up with the flashing "?" and the fans at full blast.
I tried resetting PRAM, NVRAM etc. but this did not work either.

Then i tried to boot from a Retail Leopard (10.5.6)-dvd but everything that happens is i see a grey screen with the Apple-logo.

Then i thought maybe it didnt have an updated firmware so i tried the Panther OSX 10.4 disc and the same thing: Grey screen with Apple-logo.

What else is there I could try except for changing the DVD-drive?

The discs are new so no problems there...

Please help, I think I am on the finishline but can't quite finish!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
the Panther OSX 10.4 disc
Not sure if that is one or other 10.3 = Panther 10.4 = Tiger
If you power on, insert Tiger disc and hold option key what does it show?

OP
X
Reaction score
Not sure if that is one or other 10.3 = Panther 10.4 = Tiger
If you power on, insert Tiger disc and hold option key what does it show?

It shows a "spinning arrow" and a rightarrow when I hold the option key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
I would quadruple check all your connections on your new logic board. I've found the number 1 issue when people do custom work on their hardware is human error. People forget to connect one wire or didn't properly seat something. Noting to be ashamed of.. I just see this too often to rule it out.

Other than that have you tried target disk mode? If it can boot in target disk mode it may be a problem with your drive. Also, where did you get the new logic board.. it could be bad in the first place.

Finally, what is on the old harddrive?

OP
X
Reaction score
I would quadruple check all your connections on your new logic board. I've found the number 1 issue when people do custom work on their hardware is human error. People forget to connect one wire or didn't properly seat something. Noting to be ashamed of.. I just see this too often to rule it out.

Other than that have you tried target disk mode? If it can boot in target disk mode it may be a problem with your drive. Also, where did you get the new logic board.. it could be bad in the first place.

Finally, what is on the old harddrive?

I have now quadruplechecked all the connections and everything is connected as it should except for the harddrive, I think it's bad, however I should'nt need a harddrive to be able to boot into the installation GUI?

The logicboard came with the computer in a separate box so I really have no idea of the condition of it. However because it boots all the way to the "?" I thought that was a good sign?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
You know, the fact that you don't have any HDD might be causing it to do that. It's Apple and it's Proprietary so we have no idea what the startup requirements are. Also, have you tried a USB CD drive? I would try that because it might be the disc drive its self.

I recently worked on a dell that had a similar issue, it would boot (as in it would post, not boot into an OS, it couldn't do that) but couldn't read anything off either of the cd drives. It is very unlikely that both those drives failed at the same time so I'm leaning toward saying there's something wrong with the ribbons (less likely) or the board/ports on the board (with the dell at least). So you might just be out of luck with that board =/

Let me know if a USB CD drive works.

OP
X
Reaction score
You know, the fact that you don't have any HDD might be causing it to do that. It's Apple and it's Proprietary so we have no idea what the startup requirements are. Also, have you tried a USB CD drive? I would try that because it might be the disc drive its self.

I recently worked on a dell that had a similar issue, it would boot (as in it would post, not boot into an OS, it couldn't do that) but couldn't read anything off either of the cd drives. It is very unlikely that both those drives failed at the same time so I'm leaning toward saying there's something wrong with the ribbons (less likely) or the board/ports on the board (with the dell at least). So you might just be out of luck with that board =/

Let me know if a USB CD drive works.

Will try USB DVD-drive + another SATA-drive tonight, thanks for the tip!

OP
X
Reaction score
Will try USB DVD-drive + another SATA-drive tonight, thanks for the tip!

Just tried this and the G5 doesnt support booting from a USB-drive. However i tried another PATA DVD-drive and the same result = gray apple-screen.

I also noticed that my usb-keyboard dies after about 15 seconds when the disc has been running. Also the mouse (optical) dies and the whole system hangs. Have to push the powerbutton for 5 seconds to kill it.

Read somewhere that my battery might be the cause, will buy a new one to see if it works. Hopefully it does cause the battery is like $12

OP
X
Reaction score
Just tried this and the G5 doesnt support booting from a USB-drive. However i tried another PATA DVD-drive and the same result = gray apple-screen.

I also noticed that my usb-keyboard dies after about 15 seconds when the disc has been running. Also the mouse (optical) dies and the whole system hangs. Have to push the powerbutton for 5 seconds to kill it.

Read somewhere that my battery might be the cause, will buy a new one to see if it works. Hopefully it does cause the battery is like $12

Ok so bought a new battery, zapped PRAM, reset NVRAM and pow! Same thing as before.. just the gray apple-logo.. :(

If anyone has any suggestions please tell me!

OP
X
Reaction score
Latest update: ITS ALIVE! :)

I pulled one CPU and now it boots correctly from the installer-dvd and voila I can even install OSX!

So it's probably one of two things:
1. The other cpu was borked
2. The motherboard needs to be "calibrated" to make both cpus work

I'm kinda thinking its #1, would be nice to have both cpus working but I guess I should be happy with one, the machine just cost med like $70 so :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would not give up on the CPU's as yet. I have read many times they have to be calibrated on a new board. That might solve it. I would tell you how but never owned or gotten to work on a PowerMac G5 beyond putting in ram and hard drives.

Just a heads up, Before the Intel Macs, booting from a USB drive really does not work. Firewire is bootable on G4 and G5 Macs. Just a note for the future.

OP
X
Reaction score
I would not give up on the CPU's as yet. I have read many times they have to be calibrated on a new board. That might solve it. I would tell you how but never owned or gotten to work on a PowerMac G5 beyond putting in ram and hard drives.

Just a heads up, Before the Intel Macs, booting from a USB drive really does not work. Firewire is bootable on G4 and G5 Macs. Just a note for the future.

Ok, if anyone has any suggestions on how to calibrate the board please tell me! :)

OP
X
Reaction score
Just want to inform you guys that I found an Apple Diagnostic Disk which I then booted with successfully with both cpus, did the tests a 100 loops on each cpu and they all PASSED! Thermal Calibration couldnt be done because it "wasnt needed" it said.

I'm currently have no other ideas so please someone indulge me!

Rox

Reaction score
Also this problem - a step closer to reality

I have the same machine, with Tiger on it, and a DVD with Leopard on it. I put the DVD in boot from it...it loads it, but i get these screen:
1. white and the apple
2. blue simple
3. grey with the loading rainbow whirl in the corner.

I read some ofrums and stff, it said it may take a while, but i left it over night...i woke up seeing the same screen.

How do i get to see the menu of the DVD?

Thanks mac fans :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why post on this old thread instead of starting your new thread?

Betcha using a silver grey model specific DVD from your description. You will need a black full retail install DVD which cost about $100.00.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.