2nd Screen Won't Register @ Startup

Reaction score
OK, anyone have this problem?

I have an iMac running version 10.6.2 with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gigs, 1067 MHz DDR3 blah, blah, blah...

I have a second screen hooked up as I do a lot of graphics stuff and use 2 monitors in my work flow.

OK, that all being said here's the problem...

EVERY time, and I mean every time, I start the machine it will not register the second screen. To get the second screen to be seen by the iMac I have to unplug the screen from the jack behind the computer and plug it right back in. Then and only then will the iMac recognize the second screen.

Is there any way I can get this darn computer to recognize that a second screen is present without unplugging it and re-plugging it to the back of the iMac??

Anyone... Bueller, Bueller?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried keeping the external monitor off until your iMac boots to the desktop and then turn it on?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Has this problem only just occurred ??
Like at one stage it worked and now every time you hook up it doesnt ??
Have you gone into System Preferences>Displays ??
20100212-rg56s2u62kib91gbhsrxgd8j3g.jpg

I havnt got my second hooked up ATM to show you the other Preference window but you need to detect displays.
When its done on the other window i cant show it has the option of making your OS appear on either screen.
Once the Display icon is sitting in your menu bar you can mirror or not.
I only mentioned all this BC in your 1st post you havnt told us if you have played in System Preferences

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.