Timeline Video Editing :)

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
I'm currently a student studying media production. Although i frequently use final cut pro on my college's mac's i have a few films i'd like to edit on my macbook the only problem is i cant afford final cut pro and i just cant get use to not using a timeline on the new version of imovie and just wondered if anyone knows any cheaper alternatives (or free if possible) to final cut pro or if theres anyway i can affordably download imovie 06. I really need advice :) Thank you all :D x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Final Cut Express is very very similar. That's what I have. About $200, I think?

I've also downloaded the old version of iMovie because of the same personal preference of timeline editing. Not as many features/tools as FCE.
iMovie HD 6.0.2 is the only version I can find for download on Apple's website and it's free. Then you can do some updates to it. The farthest I went was to 6.0.4, but I'm not sure if it goes any further than that. Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - iMovie HD 6.0.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Final Cut Express is cheaper. Student discounts should help bring that down a bit as well. iMovie is very consumer driven.

Arrgh. you beat me to it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Final Cut Express is very very similar. That's what I have. About $200, I think?

I've also downloaded the old version of iMovie because of the same personal preference of timeline editing. Not as many features/tools as FCE.
iMovie HD 6.0.2 is the only version I can find for download on Apple's website and it's free. Then you can do some updates to it. The farthest I went was to 6.0.4, but I'm not sure if it goes any further than that. Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - iMovie HD 6.0.2

Thank you so much for your help :) Final Cut express is still a little bit out of my price range but i'll consider it once i've got a more reliable income source. I just tried to download imovie 6 and it said i need imovie 6.1. Where do i download that? I much prefer imovie 06 due to the timeline feature :) x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.