My grand plan

S

SpinningCompass

I'm switching from Linux to Mac, giving my Toshiba NB205 to my girlfriend, and buying a MacBook 13".

When the 256GB solid state drive arrives from Amazon, I'll replace the 250GB platter-based drive, put it in a shell w/ USB adapter, and use it for weekly backup. (I'll also use BackBlaze for online backup.)

I'll be using MacSpeech and a bluetooth microphone/headset for dictation. I've chosen iWork instead of Microsoft Office: I don't approve of Microsoft's business practices. That's why I'm choosing Mac over PC.

I've opted for the 3-year AppleCare warranty. I suspect the solid state drive will outlast the rest of the laptop. I'll simply move the drive to the next laptop (in 2013?) and keep doing that until the drive dies.

Ubuntu Linux does almost everything I want, except speech-to-text. I could have bought ViaVoice and installed the Linux/X Window wrapper, but I had a gut feeling that the 1.66GHz Atom CPU would be overwhelmed.

I think I've got everything under control, but that's what everyone thinks. You guys rock, you give great advice, and I love the 'Search' function on this website.

The MBP is sitting in its box in the corner of the living room, waiting for the solid state drive to arrive. I have to say, it's really hard to leave it alone, but I'm certain it's best to wait for the drive.

Must... resist... shiny... thing... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
Sounds like a good plan to me :)

I imagine a 256GB SSD is very expensive! I wouldn't need that much storage space on the go, so not for me. But I would love an SSD, would make my old MacBook a little faster, I imagine.

I use Time Machine to back-up my laptop, and I can tell you that you would need a much larger back-up HDD than the laptop's own drive, otherwise it will begin to overwrite quite quickly. But that is from my experience with Time Machine. It probably depends what back-up program you use!

I'm sure your new MBP will outlast 2013! My MB is almost 5, and my G4 Cube is coming on 10 years old!

All in all, I am very jealous of your purchase! I hope your plan works! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
So what are you going to do with the platter drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
WOW ! You love the search feature AND you have a" grand plan "!? Ya your going to be fine.

Clay

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me :)

I imagine a 256GB SSD is very expensive! I wouldn't need that much storage space on the go, so not for me. But I would love an SSD, would make my old MacBook a little faster, I imagine.

I use Time Machine to back-up my laptop, and I can tell you that you would need a much larger back-up HDD than the laptop's own drive, otherwise it will begin to overwrite quite quickly. But that is from my experience with Time Machine. It probably depends what back-up program you use!

I'm sure your new MBP will outlast 2013! My MB is almost 5, and my G4 Cube is coming on 10 years old!

All in all, I am very jealous of your purchase! I hope your plan works! :p

I'm using a WD pocket drive with about 250 gigs of space..it'll hold up to 6 backups before it overwrites the oldest. It's why I back up every two weeks (and leave the drive disconnected between BU's)

OP
C

chas_m

You sound like you will be an AWESOME convert to the Mac, but I have to be honest and tell you about a flaw in your grand plan: you will probably need to buy your gf a Mac (or at least an iPad) before the year is out. :)

OP
S

SpinningCompass

I'm wavering between buying a docking station and buying a Time Machine. The wireless printer and USB drive (formerly the MBP's 250GB platter drive) will sit nicely on the desk. I could connect them all to a docking station or just use a Time Machine (thus eschewing the 250GB platter drive).

Time Machine: $300 (with built-in router)
Docking Station: $250 + $50 for router

I'm really tempted to go with the Docking Station. I don't like waste, so I'm loath to leave a 250GB drive lying around. Is there a way to connect the 250GB USB drive to a Time Machine and expand the disk space available to the TM?

You know, with all this talk of spending hundreds of dollars, it's easy to forget that the little things mean so much. My $10 rubber overlay for the keyboard has already saved me from cat hairs, flakes of skin, fingerprints... I'm not afraid of germs or dirt but geez, I had no idea so much crap fell upon a keyboard in one day.

Oh, and the Bluetooth headset for MacSpeech arrived. It's charging now.

@chas_m --- you might be right. Perhaps I should buy a 2TB Time Machine in preparation for the inevitable "Oh honey, of course I love you! Yes, I'll buy you a MacBook just like mine." :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.