Mac newbie DVD burn

Reaction score
Someone please help me.. I have looked through the forums for an answer but nothing has helped yet. Im trying to burn movies to dvd that will work on my home dvd player. I have assorted files such as, AVI, MKV and WMV. Can I do this with IDVD? This is my first mac and Ive only been using it for about a week. Can someone explain to me the process in MAC NEWBIE terms? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Assuming that you're within applicable laws, and the rules of this forum, Handbrake might be your best option. Handbrake has a good Help subsection to assist you. In what format are regular dvds that you watch on your player? Use that same format.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does Handbrake actually do the burning? It sounds like the OP is trying to convert, but also burn to a DVD video disc, suitable to play in an ordinary DVD player.

For those purposes, you might do well to take a look at Roxio Toast, which has converters as well as a burning program to do this.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Are there any FREE program(s) that I can use that will convert to a file type that will play on my home dvd player as welll as burn?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The first one you linked to is the same software that is rebranded for Aiseesoft and iSkySoft. It is universally reviled for being flakey and advertised via spam. If you want to support a company like that, I would be very cautious with your personal information.

C

chas_m

Someone please help me.. I have looked through the forums for an answer but nothing has helped yet. Im trying to burn movies to dvd that will work on my home dvd player. I have assorted files such as, AVI, MKV and WMV. Can I do this with IDVD? This is my first mac and Ive only been using it for about a week. Can someone explain to me the process in MAC NEWBIE terms? Thanks in advance.

To use iDVD, you'd have to convert those files into a format iDVD understands, such as MP4. You can use the free Redux Encoder to do this, but I'd suggest first installing Perian and Flip4Mac WMV player (both free).

The commercial product Toast by Roxio will allow you to just throw in nearly every kind (those WMVs may nor may not work) of video file into it, sit back (for quite a while!) and it will just convert and burn the disc for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.