• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Panther OS X.3 Released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
rman said:
Education discount $69.00

still steep for me with just over 2 months of use on my laptop but better then 150.......ill be at my apple store by 6:30 on friday night waiting and trying to convince somebody to let me get it early

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
Good to know.. hopefully my fiance can get back to school soon so that i can get that discount! :)

go up to some random kid on the street and have him buy it for you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Exposé rocks!

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
That is just too awesome :) That and that speed improvements over Jaguar are really the only reasons I would upgrade..

OP
L

lokerd

Apple's poor attitude about current orders...

goodolebwinches said:
Though, I am exited about the release of PANTHER.....I have to wait and see if this statement is true or not. My PANTHER UPGRADE may have to wait until Apple makes some lower end DUAL G5s....like a 1.6ghz DUAL.

Why do you say this? Is Panther going to be more processor resource intensive? I just bought OS 10 Server on Oct. 8th, so I qualify for the $19.99. But the OS 10 server was for a 350 Blue and White G3. It has 512mb of ram, but it ia already dragging pretty bad.

Personally, I have to say I am a little disappointed in Apple's attitude. I know they have to draw the line somewhere, but gee whiz...two weeks before the release, you think to promote continued purchases, they would offer the item for download or more reasonable on the shipping, especially that they will not combine shipping/handeling as I also ordered a laptop just today (the purchase order I submitted a month ago finally made it through the system and mailed out on Friday). The lady I talked to today offered that I could cancel my PO and resubmit...that they were not going to hold any orders...mainly because they don't know when the systems will start coming with Panther preinstalled.

So, even if you order an item AFTER 10/24, it may not come with Panther and you would still have to pay $20 per system. That is sort of lame if you ask me.

Drew

OP
R

RobDreugan

kinda interesting they are holding kinda like a gala for it.

I may have to check it out.

(been on preorder for a week now)

OP
S

StealthMode

Well, I can afford to buy Panther then :D Gotta love those student discounts. :)

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
23hours and 44 min left! :D

couldnt resist a count down :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ill head over to my apple store after i finish some work at adelphis library for my term paper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10% Discount at 'Night of Panther'?

Source MacRumors.com

10% Discount at 'Night of Panther'?

According to reports, Apple will be offering 10% Discounts at their "Night of Panther" release party at Apple Stores across the country.

The details of the promotion are rumored to be the same as last year's Jaguar release. 10% off Computers or 10% off other items with purchase of Mac OS X Panther.

As with last year, this promotion is unadvertised. The 'Night of Panther' starts at 8pm on October 24th.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/10/20031024031755.shtml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i wonder if i can get that on top of the student discount, but likely theyll have a sign that says...

10% off Panther*

*not applicable with any other offer, limit one per customer, no pushing or shoving or you will be asked to leave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upgrading to 'Panther' book available tonight

Source: MacMinute.com

Upgrading to 'Panther' book available tonight
October 24, 2003 - 09:04 EDT TidBITS Electronic Publishing has announced "Take Control of Upgrading to Panther," an electronic book written by long-time Macintosh expert Joe Kissell. The US$5 ebook will be available for purchase at 8:00 p.m. ET this evening as Apple takes the wraps off Panther at Apple Stores throughout the United States. "Take Control of Upgrading to Panther" walks users through the necessary steps to take before installing, choosing the right installation options, and more. The ebook also offers detailed troubleshooting tips for common problems, instructions on how to downgrade to a previous system if necessary, and a collection of direct links to software update sites for many common devices and utilities.

My Comments: I bet it's going to be an interesting read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
wish i would have thought of something like this. of course as good as i am at writing procedures, i would prolly get lazy in writing an entire book. after 10 pages, i would start leaving off tasks that seem trivial to me, but to new users would be important. ive learned a lot about walking people through from all the tech support i do for my friends anymore. especially switchers who were already computer illiterate on pc's and for some reason i get millions of questions on itunes for windows and ipod on windows ..... its funny cause my my friends who are computer science majors who always try to tease me about macs are loving itunes and their ipods now. 2 of them are even planning on switching to macs at christmas .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Fedex just delivered my copy of Panther to me....of course I'm at work for the next 6 hours :(. Oh well...something to look forward to when I get home :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.. I wish I had Panther! :)

Just write a better manual MacAddikt!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Nice, schweb!

Gonna install it tonite, I would assume :)

You won't be disappointed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
MacAddikt said:
i wonder if i can get that on top of the student discount, but likely theyll have a sign that says...

10% off Panther*

*not applicable with any other offer, limit one per customer, no pushing or shoving or you will be asked to leave

Hmm...that's a good question. The "Store for Education" isn't really an offer though, since it is available full-time. I'll tell you one thing though, if I get there tonight and they're offering 10% on top of the Student pricing, I'll be coming home with a new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ill head over to my apple store around 7:30 see whats going on and pick up my copy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.