Download site question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AlBook G4/1.5Ghz 15" - Pismo 400 Mhz - MacBook 2.26 Ghz
As I sit waiting for my new Mac to arrive (Grumble), I've been looking over Mac-related sites, and ran across one called Macintosh Garden, which apparently hosts a lot of abandonware, most specifically old games. I was wondering if people had had any experience with the site.

Granted, I'm not much of a gamer (yeah, I know...), but I thought I might give it a go. And, being as weird as I am, I thought I might play with some of the older games. And, the historian in me was fascinated by some of the old-style apps they have listed, so I might like playing with them, too. (I was very bad about that, ages ago, downloading obsolete stuff to play with for no reason whatsoever...) (Again, yeah, I know...)

So, just wondering...

C

chas_m

I haven't visited that particular site, but anything older than OS X simply isn't going to run on your new Mac.

Sheepshaver can be made to get OS 9 running, but it's a hacktastic PITA to set up and requires you to have old Mac equipment lying around for spare ROM info, etc. Not recommended unless you have plenty of time and resources that need killing.

Occasionally you see revivals of old games. I recently noted with interest that a new "complete makeover" of Marathon was available, called Rubicon. Ditto for DOOM and other such "early OS X" games. Even Wolfenstein is an iPhone app now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.