Spinning disk when using tables in Word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2009 MBP - 2.66ghz, 350gb hdd, 4gb RAM
Hi

I seem to be experiencing this problem a lot: When creating and working with tables in Word, then the spinning disk pops up a lot when entering data into the table. This really slows things down.

I'm using Word in Office 2008. I have been using the word documents on a Windows machine at work and then transferring them back to my macbook. Will this have had an effect?

I've had to run the dot_clean function from the Terminal app a few times because of the problems mentioned here:

Solution to Finder “Error code -36″ in 10.6 when copying folders | MacYourself

Can anyone offer any ideas of how to get rid of the spinning disk and/or what may be causing it?

I don't get the disk at any other times when using Word - other than working with these tables

Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can anyone offer any help?

It's taken me 3 hours to do something which should have taken 15 minutes. EVERY time I try to do ANYTHING in Word, the stupid spinning wheel comes up.

I have 4gb RAM, so it's not that, and all of my software is up to date.

I don't think it was this bad the other day when I was using Word, even though it was slow with tables.

Is there anyway I can clean up Word? Anyone else experiencing these sorts of Issues with Word?

Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I've had bad problems with tables in general going back to Office v.X :( Something about them won't work properly and either crashes Word or corrupts files. Way I've gotten around it is create them in another app (Excel for one) and import it as a picture back into Word.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I've had no problems with tables in Word 2008 but then I'm not importing documents from Windows Word. I use Word 2007 on my Windows PC and Word 2008 on my Mac but I try not to import documents that contain tables, lots of graphics, or macros (which will not work with Word 2008).

The Word document you're importing with tables from Windows... is it in DOCX format or DOC? I try to do all my importing by using the older standard rather than XML. I find that by using the older standard, the document generally will import will little or no change. The only disadvantage is that the standard formatted document (DOC) with tables or graphics tend to be much larger than those formatted using XML (DOCX).

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To the OP:

I've had no problems with tables in Word 2008 but then I'm not importing documents from Windows Word. I use Word 2007 on my Windows PC and Word 2008 on my Mac but I try not to import documents that contain tables, lots of graphics, or macros (which will not work with Word 2008).

The Word document you're importing with tables from Windows... is it in DOCX format or DOC? I try to do all my importing by using the older standard rather than XML. I find that by using the older standard, the document generally will import will little or no change. The only disadvantage is that the standard formatted document (DOC) with tables or graphics tend to be much larger than those formatted using XML (DOCX).

Regards.

Thanks for the info.

The windows version is in DOCX format - as it is on my MBP. I think it's XP on the work machine - maybe this doesn't help either.

Would a table create a macro?

It's not that it changes as such - just that it hang.....s and takes ages to do *anything*.

Maybe I'll try a table from scratch on my MBP - keep it only on this machine and see how I get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
To the OP:

Regards.

If tables works with 2008, I'm definitely interested in upgrading. v.X ain't cutting it.

And Office is notoriously slow on OSX. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.