What is a NetBoot image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
What is a NetBoot image? I was reading about it on the carbon copy cloner website and am curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
NetBoot is a feature of Mac OS X that allows multiple Macs to boot from a copy of the Mac OS that is installed on a server. The individual Macs do not need an OS install, or even a hard drive to work.

For situations with a large number of identical systems, like a school computer lab, then NetBoot makes it much easier for the administrator. Changes only need to be made once.

A NetBoot image would be the copy of the OS (and any other apps) needed on the server to allow NetBoot to work.

OP
Icicle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2 x 3Ghz Dual Core Nvidia 8800, 7 gigs ram Macbook pro 2011 Intel i7 triple boots Ubuntu/Win7
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IIRC Netboot ONLY works on OSX Server, not on the regular OSX. From a EULA perspective, only the server version covers it as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.