Mac to PC Virus

Reaction score
Is there a way to scan a file on my mac to see if it has a virus. I am sending some large files to a friend using a PC and would not enjoy losing a friendship over this if the files were able to destroy a PC. I wanna maintain my friendship regardless of what machine they use? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
1. There are no Mac OS X viri at this stage so you do not have a virus. If you use Windows on your Mac through Boot Camp or similar, by all means use Microsoft Security Essentials software which is downloadable.

OP
E
Reaction score
I am thinking that you didn't really read my thread but thanks for the response. I KNOW I don't have a virus. I have a mac.

I am sending a file that I downloaded off of the internet to a friend that has a pc. I don't have the PC... He does. I wanna not give a virus to my PC friend. My PC friend computer illiterate and probably does not know how scan a file before opening it.

Reaction score
I am thinking that you didn't really read my thread but thanks for the response. I KNOW I don't have a virus. I have a mac.

I am sending a file that I downloaded off of the internet to a friend that has a pc. I don't have the PC... He does. I wanna not give a virus to my PC friend. My PC friend computer illiterate and probably does not know how scan a file before opening it.

If I'm reading this correctly, your friend has the PC, and you have the Mac: essentially you don't want to send him a possibly infected file. Use an AV (for Mac OS X) for this. AV's for Mac's check for Windows viruses (among other things, they also tell you who tried to hack your firewall). You should be safe here. Check this link out:

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Reaction score
You could also tell your friend you don't know how safe the file is and to be sure his virus protection is up to date before he opens the email.

OP
E
Reaction score
Chris H... Very informal info. Thanks!!

Generic Chick... I should have informed you that I am actually sending the file through my ftp client. Zip file over url. So no email is involved. Sorry for the lack of details. I do appreciate the response for sure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can download ClamAVx and check for any Windows Virus's on the files you are sending him. Interesting note though. I always use my Macs to download files even for my Windows systems. I don't check them as AntiVir on the Windows machine will find them the second they hit the hard drive. I have had this happen many times and AntiVir on Windows never missed one and stopped them before anything bad happened.

I can understand your concern and not wanting to infect your friends computer. Try ClamxAV. It's free and should find any Windows virus's that might be in files on your Mac.

ClamXav

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.