Why don't you Stuff It?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Sorry, sorry lol. Does anyone here regularly use Stuff It Deluxe 2010? I bought it, but it looks like it only offers three types of compression: plain old zip, StuffIt proprietary, and StuffIt X proprietary. I was hoping to be able to make .rar, or have more control over how much I want to compress stuff. Am I missing something, or did I waste my money? Is there any other Mac compression program that offers lots of solutions? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I missing something, or did I waste my money?

Honestly...I vote for "you wasted your money".;)

I'm not saying this to be mean...but years ago (10-12+ years) compression programs like Stuffit were very popular because hard drive prices were very high...and optical drives like CD or DVD burners either didn't exist or were very expensive.

So back then full hard drives were a problem (so compression software came in handy)...and compression software also helped with reducing the size of backups.

Today...with hard drives being much much less expensive (and much larger)...and CD/DVD burners & media being very very inexpensive...compression software just isn't as beneficial or necessary as it once was.

Of course you may have some special circumstances or needs that I may not be thinking about where compression software may still come in handy.

Just my 2 cents;),

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I still have a bunch of backup floppy discs & MO discs from YEARS ago that I used a program called "Disk Doubler" to compress.:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
StuffIt is pretty weak in my opinion, especially for the price. I tried it, Zipeg (which is free) and BetterZip. Liked the latter the best. Good price, allows you to preview an archive's contents before extracting (much like WinZip) and supports a whole lot of different compression types.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I haven't used any compression software except for unpacking since my first 120GB drive about 6-7 yrs ago.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do realize that a lot of internet downloads use some sort of compression...but for the average user...with high speed internet, compression software isn't really as important as it once was.

Now if someone was uploading a lot of files & was using a 56k modem...then compression software might come in really handy!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps this should be a lesson in reviewing product specs before purchasing. ;)

I'm not a bigger compression guy here - I only really use it so I can send/upload a bunch of files as one. If you want some decent compression that isn't zip, look into tar combined with either gunzip or bunzip2. These are included with Macs and their are quite a few tutorials on how to use each (you're going to have to use the Terminal unless you find a front-end).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
StuffIt is pretty weak in my opinion, especially for the price. I tried it, Zipeg (which is free) and BetterZip. Liked the latter the best. Good price, allows you to preview an archive's contents before extracting (much like WinZip) and supports a whole lot of different compression types.

Like I said in the other thread, I love BetterZip. My favorite on OSX for compression and decompression. Again a thank you to CWA for turning me onto it.

I agree with Van that you can use the built in tools in OSX, but sometimes I find a graphical program easier when I am in a hurry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With the advent of OS X and larger HDD, stuffit seems to be well and truly a thing of the past and the best program from Smith Micro is the free Stuffit Expander, now called Stuffit 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I never stuff anything really. I have made a rar file once, which is fine, but I used a free program for that. I bought Stuffit when I first got a Mac years ago, never used it for stuffing, so learned my lesson!

C

chas_m

The (free) Stuffit Expander is still quite useful, since it can unstuff Stuffit files (which you still very occasionally encounter) plus most other types of compression.

But Stuffit itself is pretty much dead. The built-in ZIP handling is more than enough for me, and those who need to make RAR and PAR type files can easily find inexpensive shareware that can do this for them (and then there are the aforementioned Terminal-accessible schemes).

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Well I need it because I use Google docs for backup, but I am currently limited to 1024 MB total, and I have over 4 GB to back up. Any advice? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
My advice would be honestly would be to pay for the upgraded storage. 20gig is $5/yr, which is nothing. Just go to settings and select upgrade service, they have a variety of service levels, the 20 gig is the lowest option and really cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.