Mac Mini vs Mac Mini Server

Reaction score
So I've switched, and now have a Macbook Pro. Hooked for life I am.

I really want to get the Mac Mini Server. It's about time for me to get a server, and that thing looks amazing. I also want to get a Mac Mini as a standalone computer, but not at the same time. Waiting to see what new processors they put in this year.

So what are your opinions of putting Adobe CS4 onto the server temporarily, until I secure a Mac Mini? Since the files will end up there anyway, it doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am sure you could put CS4 on the Mini Server without issue. Only thing to remember is the Server has no Optical drive. They took out the optical to put in a 2nd hard drive. You would have to either get an external CD/DVD USB drive or somehow do it over a network.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure I could put it on there. I can use the superdrive from the MBP apparently. I'm just wondering if it's a good idea. I figure I can uninstall it later when I get another Mac Mini.

Reaction score
You can purchase the disc drive for MacBook Air to use with the Mac mini Server. (I like to call it the Xserve mini :D) and use that (or any USB disc drive).

As for running CS4 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server, I don't think it'll make much of a difference until you land a standard Mac desktop (be it the mini, iMac or Mac Pro).

Reaction score
I'm considering a Mini also and wonder: what does the server version do for your application that the regular Mini doesn't?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I've set up an appointment at the Apple store to find out more. Seems like OS X Server is like OS X, with some added goodness, so I don't think it will make any difference with CS4.

Thank you for the replies, everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.