Sloooooow TM Backups

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal, I had Time Machine working just fine but I decided to reinstall snow leopard (giving me some nagging problems), Now SL runs great, but TM... not so much. It takes about 10 minutes to reach "preparing 99%" once here it takes about another 5 to finally begin to backup. Once it begins to backup it is painfully slow, it took 30 minutes to backup 1 GB. I remember usually it would take 30 minutes to backup around 40 GB. Is there a fix for this? BTW TM takes up about 60-80% of cpu power once it begins to backup, I assume this is not normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you have a look in the log files and see just how much time machine is trying to back up .... my guess is that it is trying to re-do a complete backup.
In which case, there is no option but to let it complete ... and interrupting the backup process is not a good idea.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
ok now after reading stuff online, my backups are about 100 kB in total, meaning they only take a few seconds to backup. This does not make sense because I have 46 GB of stuff that has not been backed up yet. Anyone else have this problem?

C

chas_m

Just wipe the drive, allow TM to make a fresh backup. This is not the "true" answer but it will work and you can get on with your life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.