Installer doesn't open and do it's job

L

Lutonian

Whenever I try to open or install something that requires Installer it never opens.

When opening a .pkg file, the Installer (hard drive w/ a down arrow) icon bounces a couple times in the dock, then disapears. Its happened with every .pkg file I've attempted to open.

Any solutions to this problem?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When did this problem start?
Did you do something to your system before this problem started?
Have you repaired permissions?

If you removed the receipts from the receipts folder, this maybe your cause.

OP
L

Lutonian

I repaired the permissions, but it didn't solve the problem.

I dont remember how long ago this started happening, but as far as I know, I've never been able to open .pkg folder because of this problem.

The only thing I've done is add a 250GB ext. HD

I have no clue where or what the receipts folder is, so I didn't delete anything from it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What version of the OS are you using?

OP
L

Lutonian

im using OSX 10.3.9

the problem has persisted throughout the version updates so updating doesnt solve it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try downloading the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9 and installing over the current one. Then do the repair permissions. Something installing the combo update resolve problems.

OP
L

Lutonian

Ok i downloaded the update, but its a .pkg folder, so i cant open and install it because the **** installer wont run. Im stuck..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Lutonian said:
Ok i downloaded the update, but its a .pkg folder, so i cant open and install it because the **** installer wont run. Im stuck..

If you send me an email address that will accept files that are a few MB's in size, I can email you a copy of the Installer application. Perhaps if you delete your current installer and replace it with the known working file, it will help with your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Or you could use a program to unpack the files in a .pkg installer file. I used this before cause my installer didn't work. This is also useful if you aren't sure if it is safe to install the software.

Here's a link to a good program, it's a drag-and-drop application:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26406

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cpoet, please start a new thread with your question. Thank you.

Lutonian are you still having problems?

OP
L

Lutonian

yeah im still having this problem.

i downloaded the program from BurntSmores link, it unpacks all the folders within the .pkg, but its not helping me install them, there just "there" on my desktop.

i dont want to confuse myself with all this, i just want Installer to work without all the hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Well try opening the folders that were unpacked then drag the application inside them into your applications folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.