How to get rid of Windows Partition

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that I just reloaded Leopard and all software back onto it. There is 10GB being consumed by a partition for windows. I use Virtual Box instead of Boot Camp so there is no reason for me to lose that 10 GB. How do I get it back?

I've used the Disk Utility, Erase function and that deleted the files so now it is formatted as a Mac Journaled partition. I can unmount it, however I can not delete it. See attached screen shot.

I've used Boot Camp Assistant and have gotten 2 error messages depending on whether the partition was mounted or not. See attached screen shots.

All of the research I don't so far has pointed to one of these two options but neither seems to be working for me. Guidance please? 10 GB is too much to lose these days.

Disk Utility Picture.png

Boot Camp Assistant-Disk unmounted.png

Boot Camp Assistant-Disk Mounted.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
What it looks like to me is that the partition is formatted in HFS+ however it just has the name Windows XP?

You said you just reloaded the operating system, so why did you create a secondary partition when you did this? Or am i misunderstanding?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In Disk Utility, click on the Disk itself (not its partitions) in the left window pane. This should be the top most entry.

Then, click the Partition tab in the right pane. Click to highlight the Windows XP partition in the graphical display of partitions. Then, click the '-' (minus) sign to remove it. Then, you should be able to just drag the resize tool on the primary partition so that it takes up the entire allotment of space.

OP
K
Reaction score
Great job on the fix. Owe u a beer....

I knew I was missing something. Great description on the fix too. 30 Seconds later, no more problem. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.