Receipts- ok to delete??

U

ultimoed

I have a quick question. I discovered a folder with "receipts" it seems to be for programs that I have installed. What are these used for? Can I safely delete them? Do I need them for any reason?
thanks for the help
ED

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do not delete them. If you do, you will not be able to update your software. The receipts are used in keeping track of the software versions that is installed on your system.

Reaction score
I believe for some things they are used when you repair permissions also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
rman said:
Do not delete them. If you do, you will not be able to update your software. The receipts are used in keeping track of the software versions that is installed on your system.
Outstanding catch rman! :alien:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
cradom said:
I believe for some things they are used when you repair permissions also.
That is true also.

OP
F

frail

I had a question about this as well. Being the Mac newbie I am, I deleted all the receipts and found that Repair Permissions wouldn't work. I got everything back to normal now but I have a related(though probably dumb) question: is it safe to delete the receipts for programs you no longer have? For example I trashed Mail and Dictionary, so would it be okay to remove the receipts for those two apps? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.