Why does my MBP have a few lines on the bottom of the screen?

Reaction score
Take a look at the attached screenshot. For some reason, my windows (and mouse) do not extend to the very bottom of the screen, but stop short a few lines. I can still see the bottom 3 or 5 lines of my wallpaper beneath the window.

Any ideas on what's going on? Everything is updated on the machine to the latest version and drivers.

Screen shot 2010-02-10 at 11.39.19 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
It's because you have your dock hidden at the bottom of your screen. Move your dock to the left or right side and then you will see that you can move your mouse all the way down and your windows will go all the way down.

"5 days and nothing" simply means no one knew an answer to your question or didn't have time to look into it.. be thankful that people even donate their time to help others in the first place..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You may want a better screen shot to get more response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac,Macbook Pro
I agree with a better screen shot. You cannot see anything! It can be anything from dead pixels to just the preferences of the Dock.

OP
V
Reaction score
dcow got it. seems to have to do with the doc being positioned at the bottom. once i changed the dock to the side and maximized the window, it went to the very bottom of the screen. when i move the dock either left or right, then the empty lines appear on that side where the dock it.

seems like a very strange problem without a real reason to exist. i don't understand why a hidden dock would block the last few lines of the screen from the window maximizing all the way to the edge.

are there any tips/tricks/apps/etc to fix it?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I never noticed it before this post.... perhaps because it is only 1mm, but it is strange indeed, especially as this doesn't happen with the dock positioned on the side!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
I never noticed it before this post.... perhaps because it is only 1mm, but it is strange indeed, especially as this doesn't happen with the dock positioned on the side!

It happens wherever the dock is hidden.

vpr80:

I don't know of any "fix". I'm sure it can be done but asking in the dev forum might get you some more hits.

However, it is practical. Imagine if your dock was hidden on the left and you dragged a window all the way over, you wouldn't be able to press the close button because every time you went to click it the dock would pop up instead. Similar with at the bottom but for resizing windows. you would never be able to grap a window to resize it if it extended into the dock popup area. btw: running something fullscreen will use those pixels so you don't have to worry there.

OP
V
Reaction score
just to clatify your last point? what exactly do you mean by "running something fullscreen will use those pixels"?

I like my windows (ie: Firefox) to be maximized on the screen, but when I do that it still leaves those few lines at the bottom. Do you mean running fullscreen as in a video?

Or these some other way to maximize windows to fullscreen that I am not aware of? (4 Months on the Mac and still learning)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This has been said already but will say it one more time. If you place the Dock on the Left or Right of the screen, then there will not be any space at the bottom when you drag the application all the way down. I just tried it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but then you will have the blank lines on the left or right

As I stated above, this doesn't happen when positioned on the left or right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
just to clatify your last point? what exactly do you mean by "running something fullscreen will use those pixels"?

I like my windows (ie: Firefox) to be maximized on the screen, but when I do that it still leaves those few lines at the bottom. Do you mean running fullscreen as in a video?

Or these some other way to maximize windows to fullscreen that I am not aware of? (4 Months on the Mac and still learning)

Yes, when the window manager flags a window as fullscreen and displays it that way, it uses ALL the pixels on the screen. Anything else (like maximizing) or dragging windows really big subtracts those pixels (wherever they are: left right bottom) from the usable screen space.

Some examples of full screen are:
*playing a fullscreen video
*running a browser in fullscreen mode
*using photoshop or pdf viewer in fullscreen mode
*running preview in fullscreen mode

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.