Chrome or Safari?

Reaction score
I just installed Chrome on my pc, and I like it a lot. Does anyone here use it on MacBook? Can't find any comments from people using it it on their Macs....if any are out there, how do you like it? I like Safari, but some say they hate it and prefer Firefox. Just looking for a few opinions. Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor S
I tried Chrome on my Macbook and didn't like it. I also don't like Safari so use Firefox. Guess it's down to personal preference

OP
M
Reaction score
Why didn't you like Chrome? I use Firefox as well on my pc, but what do you like about it over Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor S
i dunno - to be honest I am so used to FF and like the extensions. I guess if I gave Chrome more time I'd get to like it. But FF does me, so I don't change :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Browsers are purely personal..I've been a long time Firefox user and tried Chrome when it was first released, but lack of extension support sent me back to FF. Now that Chrome has extension support..I'm back to using it again.

I do find it to be faster (and lighter) than FF..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Currently I use Chrome on my iMac and Safari on the Powerbook (because it doesn't support Chrome). Chrome is nice, but does have some issues still of course, being Beta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I much prefer Firefox than any other browser on my MBP (or pc for that matter) cause of all the add on's that I used. But that being said, it's def. NOT the fastest and eats up memory. I have noticed that Chrome does indeed seem to be the fastest for me, but the difference is so small that I rarely use it anyway...usually just for testing.

I also find that Chrome isn't as compatible around the net as FireFox or Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I don't get the "browser wars". I use Safari, bit have used Firefox a little. I stick with Safari only out of habit. Either one works. I don't feel the need to try any others. Maybe my browsing is just so mundane that I can't tell much difference between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" white MacBook | 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB RAM |250GB HDD
I used FF for a loooong time on my WinXP machine, then got hooked on Chrome when it came out. Now that I'm solely a Mac user I use Safari on my MacBook, though I do have Chrome installed.

I can see little differences in the way Safari runs on my MacBook that make it a far better browser than it was on a Windows machine. I also see things Chrome did on Windows that Safari does on my MacBook. I might try Chrome again but can't see myself going back to FF. Just my $0.02...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I'm running chrome and it smokes safari in terms of speed loading web pages, but isn't as fast at booting.

Reaction score
Still sticking with Safari mostly - use FF occasionally for a few sites. Play with Chrome a little each day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong . I use safari out of the box with ClickToFlash and thats it.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I love Chrome on my PC, not so much on my Mac, mainly because Chrome mimics Safari's keyboard shortcuts, and that's the primary reason I don't use Safari. So it's Firefox on my Macbook for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Another Safari w/ClicktoFlash user here.

Reaction score
Safari. Period.

Firefox gave my old PC a virus (thanks to an exploit in the search box, a similar exploit gave one of my other PCs the same virus, only this was IE8), it crashed on my PowerMac G4 and I don't like Google for anything but what it originally was- an internet search engine.

C

chas_m

I use Safari mainly. Adding ClickToFlash was all it took to keep me loyal.

I find it more than fast enough (forum pages here load in an eyeblink), I like the bookmark handling, etc.

I wouldn't use Chrome as it stands now because of privacy/security issues with it (reasons detailed here). I have SRWare's Iron for testing, but so far haven't seen anything to really make me switch. People who talk about "faster browsing" are generally measuring in milliseconds, which I don't find really compelling (and is potentially just psychological).

In short, I go by the same rule I give to newbies: unless you can show me a compelling reason why you NEED to switch, just stick with Apple's default.

Reaction score
One thing Chrome has taught me is how slow Safari is. Chrome never pinwheels, Safari does all the time. I don't think I'll go back to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
One thing Chrome has taught me is how slow Safari is. Chrome never pinwheels, Safari does all the time. I don't think I'll go back to Safari.

I read where a lot of people say this but it never does this to me.....well at least since I was told about ClickToFlash.

Clay

C

chas_m

While I'm not suggesting you're wrong or trying to persuade you to go back, surely you must know that that is not the normal Safari experience? Whatever's causing the problem in Safari, it's not Safari itself.

I've been using SB Ware's Chrome-based browser all night tonight, and do not find its speed to be any better than Safari for me.

If you have an interest, I might suggest emptying Safari's cache, and installing ClickToFlash. That might well give your old Safari some fresh speed.

But again, if you're happy where you are, that's great too. The idea of the Mac is to ENJOY your experience, so do whatever is going to work for you. It's great that we have so many good browsers to pick from!

Reaction score
I read where a lot of people say this but it never does this to me.....well at least since I was told about ClickToFlash.

Clay

To be fair this happens when I run Safari at the same time as Chrome. Maybe I should shut down Chrome and see if Safari is happier. But before I got Chrome I do recall Safari pinwheeling a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.