moving HD from powermac G5 duo to quad

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

cot a chance to buy a power mac g5 quad for a good price however the computer isnt booting because there is no hardrive. I currently own a powermac g5 duo and was wondering if i could take the hd that i currently have working with my g5 duo(still running tiger osx10.4) to the quad g5 to test it. I dont think it would be a problem. I should be able to get it to boot and test it. I am new to MAcs. Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Agreed, you should be able to transfer the hard drive across from your working G5, but I'm puzzled about the "G5 Quad". I can find no reference to such a machine. Mactracker's data shows that all G5's had single or dual processors only. Do you know the specs of the G5 you've just bought?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

Agreed, you should be able to transfer the hard drive across from your working G5, but I'm puzzled about the "G5 Quad". I can find no reference to such a machine. Mactracker's data shows that all G5's had single or dual processors only. Do you know the specs of the G5 you've just bought?

Apple Power Mac G5 Specs (All Power Macintosh G5 Technical Specs) @ EveryMac.com

ravipedrosa said:
Hello Folks,

cot a chance to buy a power mac g5 quad for a good price however the computer isnt booting because there is no hardrive. I currently own a powermac g5 duo and was wondering if i could take the hd that i currently have working with my g5 duo(still running tiger osx10.4) to the quad g5 to test it. I dont think it would be a problem. I should be able to get it to boot and test it. I am new to MAcs. Thanks for the help

Yes you can swap hard drives, however most new macs come with computer specific os x so that os x can use resources most efficiently with the hardware. What this means is you may have some incompatibilities or sluggishness.. or it may not.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the quick response guys! here is the specs of the quad .The computer is a 2.5 quad with 4.5gb of ram, superdrive, airport bluetooth, 512mb video card im pretty sure, model number A1117

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 2.5GHz Dual Cores are known as Quads and the HDD will work just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.